HONDA V4 STREETFIGHTER??? to compete with FZ9

hypo

Honda's naked VF800 designs - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN

I MISS my FZ8... and was thinking of picking up an FZ9... until I read THIS.... ohhhhhhhhhhhh....

Honda’s 800cc V4 is on the money, power-wise, making 108bhp in the VFR and 101bhp in the Crossrunner. It’s also ideal because it’s not a conventional
inline-four, offering more midrange and character than the more common design.

While a complex engine when compared to inline motors – even ignoring the VTEC system that disables eight of the valves at low revs, there are two sets of cylinder heads and all their associated gubbins where an inline motor has just one – Honda has been making it for so long that it amortised its development costs years ago, allowing it to be financially competitive with newer, simpler engines.

Despite the fact it’s been 12 years since the VTEC VFR was launched, the engine is still a modern design, and it’s particularly useful in this instance because it was always intended to be used as a structural component.

The VFR dates from a period when Honda had a philosophy of separating the swingarm pivot from the main chassis – as on the 929cc and 954cc Fireblades of the early ’00s.

That means the newly-designed steel tube frame for the naked machine, which will presumably be called the VF800, can follow the latest trend for minimalist frames and structural engines. In fact, the frame looks very similar to the trellis on the recently-spied 2014 Ducati Monster 1198.

master paper clip

Damn that looks nice as fuk... I say an an fz-09 this weekend at the AMA races... It's feels more like a dirt bike then a street bike, way to compact for my liking

MotoZen

Honda looks pretty damn good for the first time in a while, imo. Any idea on a price point?

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

randyka

Nope. The article provides similar information as the one given up top, and there isn't a talk about price yet. "Sliding the 12-year-old VTEC V-four into a new steel frame will keep costs to a minimum; despite the V-four's complexity, it has long since amortized its R&D costs, making it cheaper than developing a new motor." that's all the article says about price point.

cambo

Avid Rider
damnit that's sweet...I REALLY wish yamaha made the fz8 with a bare frame like that. I don't know why but I'm such a fan of that look.

F3NIX

Am I the only one that thinks the z1000 caught my attention more than the honda?

Dont like honda, but that kawasaki looks bad ass!

Sent from my phone

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
This proposed V4 Honda is like waving crack in front of crack head for me. I migrated from a V4 Honda to a SV650 to the FZ8, and while I love my FZ8 dearly, there's something special about the interceptor engine. I'm going to check out the FZ-09 as soon as one arrives, but really have no plans to get one. But this.......I may have to really think about holding off until it comes out, if it does.

TorontoAlex

I find the FZ8 is abrupt when you let go the throttle completely. Sucks while cornering, caught me by surprise yesterday. Wondered how bad it could have been if it was raining.

Marthy

The 9 is pretty kick a$$! Peak HP (107 WHP) is not what that hike is all about. 50+ ft.lb of torque from 2K up is quite nice on a 417 lbs bike.

There's no way to keep that front end on the ground in first gear if you pin the throttle. I tried this morning on the on ramp. Siting will my balls against the tank and leaning forward as much as I can and it still goes up... shift second gear and hammer it down again, up it goes! :eek::eek::eek:

Im at 300 miles now and the engine is just keep getting better. All that in std mode, I haven't tried the A mode yet!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2