Help the new guy out

barryscott

Been without a bike now, for about 11yrs now. Last bike was an GSXR 750. Too old and body too old for sportbike now. Been looking at either the FZ8 or the FZ1. Which one would you go for and why. And yes i realize this is the FZ8 site.LOL;) Mainly just for fun riding and maybe a few out of town vacations. Thanks Guys
Scott

H

Hoover

There is almost nothing between them. Both based around the same frame/engine set up.
It will end up being a decision on looks, money and how you ride.
Basically, the 1 has a bigger fairing, more horses and a bit more weight.
The 8 is a stripped down version with a slightly de-tuned smaller bore engine and non adjustable forks.

Talk to your dealer or troll through the smalls. Good used 1's are coming up for sale now and then. 8's are not yet. Too new and they seem to have devoped a bit of a cult following already.

Either way. A proven engine and frame and you will not go wrong either way.

GarryM

Take both for a ride and see if the FZ1's extra power and tighter suspension justifys the extra cost to you. I chose the FZ8 over the FZ1 purely on purchase price. Though in hindsight I think I would have been happier with the FZ1, mainly because of the better suspension. It's pretty easy to get past the FZ8's suspension comfort zone.

Having said that, bike suspension has come a long way in 11 years and you may find the FZ8 suspension better than you remember the GSXR was. If your riding pace/style is within it's design envelope then you will be more than happy with the FZ8 and save a bit of cash.

lothodon

Super Moderator
for me it all came down to the 8 because of the lack of fairing. absolutely love the look of the naked bikes. for reference my last two bikes were both r1's and i got too "old" to lean over that far forward. the 8 is SO comfy and the power loss is really not noticed as i don't run at 175+mph very often. from zero to too fast is almost identical.