HELP . Scratches

GillymanMike

Morning all. I am in need of desperate advise on how to fix some slight scratches on my fz :mad:. As I was mounting her before heading to work , I had forgotten about the pocket knife clipped onto the outside of my jeans. I am still puzzled how it managed to scrape the tank when it was on the hip side but long story short it did. Have any of you experienced something similar? How should I go about fixing it? Rubbing compound prehaps?

Thanks!

Just tried posting but the pics are to small to see scratches. Sorry

Last edited:

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Morning all. I am in need of desperate advise on how to fix some slight scratches on my fz :mad:. As I was mounting her before heading to work , I had forgotten about the pocket knife clipped onto the outside of my jeans. I am still puzzled how it managed to scrape the tank when it was on the hip side but long story short it did. Have any of you experienced something similar? How should I go about fixing it? Rubbing compound prehaps?

Thanks!

I'm not sure rubbing compound will help if the material is gone. If you're good with touchup, that might work - but in my experience touchup always ends up looking like crap. I'd say, just leave it as a continual reminder to be careful around the tank.

Or get it repainted, or wrapped. Or better yet, put a sticker or grip pad over it. :)

thach1130

If the paint is damage then there's nothing to do but to cover it with something else. If it only lightly on the clear coat maybe you can use the toothpaste trick or the rubbing compound. I find no ways around it (getting scratches). It bound to happen. No need to be so obsessive about the nick.

GillymanMike

If the paint is damage then there's nothing to do but to cover it with something else. If it only lightly on the clear coat maybe you can use the toothpaste trick or the rubbing compound. I find no ways around it (getting scratches). It bound to happen. No need to be so obsessive about the nick.

Yea probably right. This is the biggest purchase I have ever made in my entire life so it hurts inside when something bad happens to her. :p

Thanks!

If you are desperate...it's not cheap, but here you can get the paint in a pen.

ColorRite Motorcycle Paint

socal

pay someone to fix it, paint is the one thing that will not look right of you do it yourself. sorry

Tango59

That's exactly where I scratched mine. I wear Carhart carpenter paints and my knife clip sticks out. My FZ is being repainted so it's a non issue. My buddy said matte paint is easier to scratch (less amount of hardener ?).

socal

That's exactly where I scratched mine. I wear Carhart carpenter paints and my knife clip sticks out. My FZ is being repainted so it's a non issue. My buddy said matte paint is easier to scratch (less amount of hardener ?).

And usually no clear coat but idk on this bike, but that is why you can't use cleaner wax on matte Finnish it takes the color paint off

dieselhorse

And usually no clear coat but idk on this bike, but that is why you can't use cleaner wax on matte Finnish it takes the color paint off

I'm pretty sure our bike has a clear coat; most modern matte paint is clear coated. It's usually the way they spray the clear with 'controlled' imperfections that give matte paint the flat look. The abrasives in the cleaner wax can remove the imperfections and cause uneven shiny spots.

Regardless, repairing matte paint is much harder than a regular finish because it's almost impossible to duplicate the microscopic dimples in the paint with touch up, and compounding will make the spot shiny. Either pay someone to fix it or just cover it up.