Helmet Reviews: Post your "LID" and how you like it.

Perron

I've done about 150 miles this month (still cold as **** outside) but I must say that the Shoei GT-air is pretty amazing! It fits my head pretty well and it's so light and comfortable that I almost forgot I got it on my head. It's also very quiet, but I've only owned the Bell revolver EVO so it's not in the same category at all..

I though it was stupid to pay so much for a helmet but my buddy said don't go cheap on gear you won't regret it and he was right.

myklobe

SKULLY AR-1

These aren't released yet, but the wife has given the thumbs up. I just don't know if I can muster spending $1400 on one yet, but maybe next gen :) These look awesome. I might have to check out the Reevu in the meantime.

SilverSlugger00

SKULLY AR-1

These aren't released yet, but the wife has given the thumbs up. I just don't know if I can muster spending $1400 on one yet, but maybe next gen :) These look awesome. I might have to check out the Reevu in the meantime.
If you get it we will want a real person review and not one fluffed by business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

nightttime

My 2015 Arai RX-Q is simply amazing. It's queit and my head slices through the wind like a knife on the FZ8. Worth the money for an Arai.

My 2015 Arai RX-Q is simply amazing. It's queit and my head slices through the wind like a knife on the FZ8. Worth the money for an Arai.
:agree:
I agree, also have the Rx-Q in Blue (looks good with the 2013 FZ8 color scheme). Got mine as an open box (never used) at the store so I didn't have to pay full price.

I keep forgetting to put my ear plugs on with this helmet because it is so quiet.
After getting a large size that was pretty tight, 2 years in the pads have broken in and it is a bit too loose I think. I'm the guy with the head that fits right between the Medium and Large. Found out the shells are the same size for both so all I have to do is replace the padding (which I would anyway) with the size that knocks it down to a medium.:cool:
It is vented really well and I love the retractable chin spoiler and visor vents. Just recently bought a mirror shield and it's been a live saver in the 90-100 degree temps we've been getting lately (reflecting most of the heat).

Going to be hard to replace when I need a new lid as I'll have to look for another Arai bargain.

Last edited:

nightttime

:agree:
I agree, also have the Rx-Q in Blue (looks good with the 2013 FZ8 color scheme). Got mine as an open box (never used) at the store so I didn't have to pay full price.

I keep forgetting to put my ear plugs on with this helmet because it is so quiet.
After getting a large size that was pretty tight, 2 years in the pads have broken in and it is a bit too loose I think. I'm the guy with the head that fits right between the Medium and Large. Found out the shells are the same size for both so all I have to do is replace the padding (which I would anyway) with the size that knocks it down to a medium.:cool:
It is vented really well and I love the retractable chin spoiler and visor vents. Just recently bought a mirror shield and it's been a live saver in the 90-100 degree temps we've been getting lately (reflecting most of the heat).

Going to be hard to replace when I need a new lid as I'll have to look for another Arai bargain.

Holy cats I need that silver shield. I have the same blue color, I got a 2015 snell too, hard to find in Minnesota. That silver is so cool. Cute kid too.

Blackfin

I used to have an HJC FG-17 like this:

but, over time, found the shape just not right. I seem to have a "long oval" head shape and the FG-17 is for more rounded heads. I got an intolerable hotspot on my forehead from it. I also found the wind noise fairly bad, with a lot of noise coming up the right-side strap and resonating in my ear.

So I recently upgraded to an Arai Signet-Q:

Much better fit (in fact made for long-oval heads so...) and better aero overall. Less noise. It's quite a bit tighter in the chin bar area, I'm not sure I like the visor latch all that much and the visor seems flimsier than the HJC but overall I'm very happy. Not cheap though!

Fazer 8

I recently bought a new helmet, as my Arai Profile GT was starting to have failures of various little bits (vents, etc) and was getting a little sloppy on my head, as well as being 5 or more years old and well-used.

So, to start with, I have what Arai calls a "Long Oval" (LO) shaped head. Old Arai Signets and the Profile GT fit my head perfectly with no hot spots or slop. I haven't tried a new Signet, but expect it would also fit my head well. Also very expensive. Another downside to Arai helmets is their shield mechanism - the side pods are prone to breakage, add wind noise, there are no detents (shield doesn't like to stay open at speed) and is generally outdated (IMO).

Anyway, I've been searching for other helmets that have a LO shape - there don't seem to be very many, and some of those are rather low-end helmets, which probably do a find job of protecting the head but are lacking in features or comfort. I've gotten used to wearing premium helmets. Someone pointed me towards the Scorpion-EXO R2000.

This is a pretty high-end helmet. Comes with both a clear and dark shield, as well as a removable breath deflector and chin curtain. Some models come with a clear screen pre-fitted for a pinlock insert. Mine came with the clear and smoked shields, both with anti-fog treatment on the inside.

Fit around the crown is just like my Arai Signets and Profile. The opening at the bottom is pretty snug, and would be better for someone with smaller ears that don't stick out so much like mine. It's a very close fitting helmet on the sides, with not as much comfort padding around the ears or as large and deep of ear wells. Probably not a great candidate for installing helmet speakers. Payoff is a smaller, more compact shell. So, it's a little more difficult to get off and on than my Arai Profile was. For me I have to mess around a little after pulling it on, sticking my fingers up the side of the helmet, to get my ears properly tucked into the ear pockets and ensure the neck roll hasn't been pulled out of its proper place. Once on comfort levels are comparable. So far I find the extra fiddling when putting it on worth it in terms of the snug fit once on.

BTW they apparently have, IIRC, 4 different shell sizes for this helmet. It also has inflatable cheek pads to snug things up even more if necessary.

Ventilation is great, with a good sized chin vent, brow vent, and two good sized intakes on the top (with three position slider - closed, half open, open). Moves plenty of air.

The shield mechanism is fantastic. It has an "elliptical" mechanism which allows the shield to move backwards in the closed position, making a really tight seal. A small lever on the side has three positions for the shield in closed position - locked closed, unlocked, and cracked open. Shield changes are as quick and easy as anything I've used or seen.

This is a good race-oriented (like an Arai RX-whatever) helmet. It would be nice to see them do another helmet with this shape in the crown area, but a little more space in the ear and head opening area, and maybe a nice feature like a built-in visor. This probably wouldn't be my first pick for a helmet to wear behind a larger windscreen that keeps most of the wind blast away (like my old V-Strom with +12" windscreen), since such a close fit is not really useful in that case, but on my Fazer it is good.

I got a close-out model for USD$259, MSRP $389. Still available on closeout from motorcyclegear.com at this price. It's still a current model, though - these were just closeouts of presumably last year's or less popular colour combos. Here's the one I got:
Scorpion EXO-R2000 Ion Helmet :: MotorcycleGear.com

Last edited: