Helmet choice, little help needed

MotoZen

Get new internal pads..idk about that brand...but with shoei..there is 3-4 different size inserts available for it...ie...37mm ..39mm.....

The helmet fits me great. I meant the shell size. The outer shell is a bit larger than some others, which is what gives it the aforementioned "bobble head" look.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Shape and fit > features

The top two non-boutique helmet brands are probably Arai and Shoei (in order).

My head is completely the wrong shape for the Shoei GT-Air, but I was very impressed with its feature set and build quality. If it fit my alien head, I'd have bought it.

And that's a great point for a segue into shape - figure out what shape your head is - round, intermediate oval, or long oval. Me, I'm an extra-long-oval. My dad is a round.

Bell's usual shape is the roundest brand I've found.
Shoei usual is between round and intermediate oval.
Arai goes from intermediate oval (RX series) to long oval (Signet Q)

Try lots of helmets of different shapes, and see what fits you best, and adjust sizing and fitment from there - the best helmet in the world won't do you much good if it's too loose when you need it.

-Alex
--Arai Signet Q

Rotaryknight

The top two non-boutique helmet brands are probably Arai and Shoei (in order).

My head is completely the wrong shape for the Shoei GT-Air, but I was very impressed with its feature set and build quality. If it fit my alien head, I'd have bought it.

And that's a great point for a segue into shape - figure out what shape your head is - round, intermediate oval, or long oval. Me, I'm an extra-long-oval. My dad is a round.

Bell's usual shape is the roundest brand I've found.
Shoei usual is between round and intermediate oval.
Arai goes from intermediate oval (RX series) to long oval (Signet Q)

Try lots of helmets of different shapes, and see what fits you best, and adjust sizing and fitment from there - the best helmet in the world won't do you much good if it's too loose when you need it.

-Alex
--Arai Signet Q

Fitment to me is the number one priority when choosing a helmet. I tend to ride for hours at a time and a proper fitted helmet (especially to the shape of your head) is really comfortable. You dont want to ride with excruciating pain from your temple.

Skiman

I've found, regardless of the model, Shoei fits me best. Just picked up an
RF1100 on sale through Revzilla for under $300.

Bajaedition

Shoei has the fit for me

and fit is a huge thing

I know lot of people complain about the price of a Shoei but they have a quality product, I have run quite a few of their upper line and would recommend them to anyone, NOW saying that, Shoeis do are also famous for the Shoei fit. And that is either something that fits you, or it does not.

Having gone down at speed a few times, I can say that you want a helmet that fits, And carries at least a DOT rating. What you decide to pay for your lid id your choice. A lot of the cost of a helmet is how many units per design. Companies like Shoei are re designing a lid every 4 to 6 years and they put a lot of money into the design to stay on top. My current Shoei, A GTAir is heads and tails down a better lid than my old RF1100 in fit, quietness, areodynamics, it is light and has a inner sun shield. Plus the color matches my 8.
And I got it from Chaparral. I walked into their showroom and they probably have between 3 to 4 hundred helmets on display. I think that may be a low side on the estimate. It was a helmet superstore. Standing in front of some of those Boutique lids with the killer graphics I was tempted.

npeifer2308

I recently purchased the Icon Airmada and love the helmet. Its light, really comfortable due to its super soft liner, vents like a beast, and crazy graphics(I went with the Four Horseman paint scheme.) Now the Icon your looking at is defiantly a step up from the model I bought so i'm sure if it fits your head it will meet your satisfaction.

P.S. Internal visors are nice but not a necessity, a lot of helmet manufacturers are coming out with transitional visors.

Woody146

Banned
Just tried on a new rf 1200...the outer shell is much smaller yet the inner maintains size...seems like it will be quieter too...different venting

MotoZen

I recently purchased the Icon Airmada and love the helmet. Its light, really comfortable due to its super soft liner, vents like a beast, and crazy graphics(I went with the Four Horseman paint scheme.) Now the Icon your looking at is defiantly a step up from the model I bought so i'm sure if it fits your head it will meet your satisfaction.

P.S. Internal visors are nice but not a necessity, a lot of helmet manufacturers are coming out with transitional visors.

I don't wear glasses so I can only speak to what I've heard, but I've heard people complain that the transitions glasses sometimes take some time to change from dark to light. That could be a bad thing if you are riding through an area with varied shade that quickly goes back and forth. With that being said, I'd definitely be willing to try them out.

Personally, I've always hated having to carry either sunglasses or a spare shield with me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Perron

I've tried the Gt-Air today and the fit is great, although a little bit tight (wich will be a perfect fit after a week I've heard)

I went with the medium first according to the shoei size chart and it's quite accurate.

Only matter now is if I take the black with white accent or red accent

EDIT: I chose the red one but Crazy Al's doesn't have this color on his site so I went with GPbikes for around 660CAD! My local store is selling it 770+ taxes, for a total of 885CAD, wich is crazy..

Last edited:

Perron

Quick update, got the Gt-Air today! Can't wait to try it on the bike..

And I don't like a bubble head anymore with my helmet that's perfect!

goonanc

love the gtair, coming on a year with it. also couldnt imagine without an internal visor!! mrs wears rf-11 and no problem with noise. i find wind noise to vary per helmet/per head. always wear ear plugs.

BigD

Anyone had exp with the Arai Rebel or the Shark speed-R on the FZ8n?

reduced wind resistance to the front/buffeting?
reduced rudder effect when looking left/right for checks? unlike the Shark RSi I currently have which would rather my head was spun off lol

bpassmore8

I have the Shoei RF1100. It is the only helmet I have had for street but I think it does well. Seemingly minimal wind noise and it doesn't seem like I have too much head bobble at high speeds or too much force on it when I change lanes. I am happy with it. Swapping out face shields is really easy and the liner is washable. Again, I can't compare it to any others. I initially got it because based on reviews I could find online it seemed to get the best overall reviews and fit the best in the store