Helmet choice, little help needed

Perron

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new helmet(got the Bell revolver and it's way too loud).

I'm not quite sure if I want a full face of another modular, but I want something quiet, safe, and something that looks good.

I'm looking the spend around 500-600CAD bucks max (550US), so I expect to pay for quality and have something that will worth every penny.

So far, I've spotted the Icon Ghost Carbon:
Light weight, apparently quiet, and looks good, but can I get better for the price? (about 510 US shipping included)

I also saw that Shoei was a great helmet manufacturer and heard good reviews about the Gt-air, but it looks a bit plain so I spotted the Wanderer TC5:
Light weight, quiet, good looking, but 630 US, wich is too much

I may let go on the "good looking" and get some quality instead(like the plain gt-air) but if I can get both, why not!

Do you guys know other helmets(full face of modular) in this price range or any reviews about the ones above? I don't want to rush anything and end up with somethign I will regret like my Bell Revolver :p

Woody146

Banned
I have the shoei rf-1100 (1 step below gt air) and it is legit...I would say shoei over iicon...shoei seems a bit higher quality

black8

I have the hjc rpha 10 prester red very light and quiet plus you get a clear and dark visor as standard.

MotoZen

Personally, I don't think I'll ever buy another helmet without an internal sun visor. Not really relevant to your posted question, but imo, something to think about.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

villhelmromero

I have that shoei gt air. its very light, aerodynamic, and pretty dern quiet (for a helmet) the drop down visor looks awesome and is very clear and doesn't distort your vision. the vents also work extremely well without adding much noise too. I would highly suggest it for the 8. especially since you have no wind protection from the bike. totally worth every penny. oh and one last thing you can't see in the pic is that the tiny honeycomb patern is chameleon and very subtly changes colors in the sun. super cool looking IMO.

Marthy

Got a Bell RS-1 with the transition visor. Flat black... really nice update from the Vortex.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

master paper clip

I have the icon airfram construct. it is really quit, its really comfy and its pretty light too, so that ghost carbon one should be even lighter and just as confortable not to mention it looks bad ass

FastZ8

I have a scorpion exo 400 skull bucket model with a tinted visor. Relatively light weight so it's not bad on your neck or shoulders.Not too much wind noise and It's comfortable and fits well and its Dot/Snell approved and is a well built helmet in my opinion and pretty affordable I might add but far from bottom of the barrel.I bought a camouflage liner for it which looks pretty cool because my dog chewed mine while I had it out cleaning it.
I had a Fulmer SS fear and loathing model before this and it was nice just kind of heavy and had some wind resistance when turning your head. Had a shoei before that but can't remember what model but it was a nice helmet as well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Between those two, GT-Air hands down.

Shoei has a LONNNNNNG track record of making top quality helmets that are both comfortable, quiet and did I mention quality?

I've owned a Shoei, Rf1000, Qwest, a Shark Speed R, 707 garbage helmet, and some random HJC and the shoeis are easily my favorite; albeit expensive.

Perron

Thanks guys, it's helping me alot making my choice

Personally, I don't think I'll ever buy another helmet without an internal sun visor. Not really relevant to your posted question, but imo, something to think about.

You're right, it's a good point I didn't think about. My cheap Bell have a visor and it's quite useful.

I have that shoei gt air. its very light, aerodynamic, and pretty dern quiet (for a helmet) the drop down visor looks awesome and is very clear and doesn't distort your vision. the vents also work extremely well without adding much noise too. I would highly suggest it for the 8. especially since you have no wind protection from the bike. totally worth every penny. oh and one last thing you can't see in the pic is that the tiny honeycomb patern is chameleon and very subtly changes colors in the sun. super cool looking IMO.

I knew I would find someone using it. Thanks for the review.

As some of you said, Shoei is making quality helmet and may be a better investment than an Icon one.

I've been looking at the qwest and the rf-1100 before I found the Gt-air. I think my choice was already made, I just need to choose if I'm buying the plain Gt-air, or if I'm willing to pay an extra 100$ to get some graphics.

Does anyone ever bought something from Helmet Shop? They're offering the best deal to ship to Canada (Revzilla was my first choice but they can't ship Shoei's helmet internationnally)

9 Lives

Thanks guys, it's helping me alot making my choice

You're right, it's a good point I didn't think about. My cheap Bell have a visor and it's quite useful.

I knew I would find someone using it. Thanks for the review.

As some of you said, Shoei is making quality helmet and may be a better investment than an Icon one.

I've been looking at the qwest and the rf-1100 before I found the Gt-air. I think my choice was already made, I just need to choose if I'm buying the plain Gt-air, or if I'm willing to pay an extra 100$ to get some graphics.

Does anyone ever bought something from Helmet Shop? They're offering the best deal to ship to Canada (Revzilla was my first choice but they can't ship Shoei's helmet internationnally)

Your better off getting it from Canada, by the time you pay the shipping and excise taxes its going to more than if you got it here. Most places will offer free shipping, here are a few links.

Biker Leathers: Motorcycle Helmets & Jackets | Boots | Snowmobile
Motorcycle Helmets and Superstore - Gear, Parts, and Accessories - Canada's Motorcycle
https://www.royaldistributing.com/

Perron

Your better off getting it from Canada, by the time you pay the shipping and excise taxes its going to more than if you got it here. Most places will offer free shipping, here are a few links.

Biker Leathers: Motorcycle Helmets & Jackets | Boots | Snowmobile
Motorcycle Helmets and Superstore - Gear, Parts, and Accessories - Canada's Motorcycle
https://www.royaldistributing.com/

Didn't know about Crazy Al's until now! He is selling it cheaper then Canada's motorcycle that I knew already.

Thanks for the hint!

tiki

the rf-1100 hadron is on sale at motorcycle closeouts. Shoei RF-1100 Hadron
theyre a good site to order from but make sure you have the right size as I've heard returns there are pain in the ass. I ordered my Bell RS-1 combo with transistions shield from them and had no problems.

Last edited:

Bajaedition

GT air owner here
Hands down quietest helmet I have ever owned
internal sun shad is sooooooo nice
expensive? how much is your noggin worth?

made the switch to full face helmets in the 1980s after seeing a guy lose his jaw

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Ive owned a Scorpion exo 1100 with the internal sun visor (awesome but you look like a bobble head lol) and now I have my chain brain icon helmet which glows in the dark and scares little kids in cars LOL

MotoZen

Ive owned a Scorpion exo 1100 with the internal sun visor (awesome but you look like a bobble head lol) and now I have my chain brain icon helmet which glows in the dark and scares little kids in cars LOL

I'm very happy with my exo-1100. I got last year's model for pretty cheap on clearance. It is fairly large though.

Woody146

Banned
I'm very happy with my exo-1100. I got last year's model for pretty cheap on clearance. It is fairly large though.

Get new internal pads..idk about that brand...but with shoei..there is 3-4 different size inserts available for it...ie...37mm ..39mm.....