Headstock stand - what size pin?

Torbeach

You could try taking the end caps off (while the forks are still on the bike) and just replacing the springs however you won't be able to get the oil out. if you want to do the full job you need to get the front off the ground so you can remove the wheel and forks. Your probably better to lift the bike off the ground from under the engine using a jack or putting the bike on blocks. The exhaust where it goes under the engine is strong enough to support the bike. Loosen the end caps while the forks are still on the bike and torque wrench for tightening the axle and pinch bolts when you are putting it back together is a good idea. You will need a seal driver if you are replacing the seals, some people make the driver out of PVC pipe. Be careful not to nick the seal when putting it on. Placing a plastic bag over the end of the tube and sliding the seal over it is a good way to prevent damage to the seal. It's can be a pretty messy job so have lots of paper towels around.

YouTube has some good videos that explain the process such as this one by Delboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm2F08Ys_zU

Fazer 8

I guess nobody did. I'll resurrect this to ask the same question. What size is the internal diameter of the headstock? The biggest pin that came with my stand is 18mm, but the headstock is way bigger than that, 23 or 24 mm. Or maybe 22.

OK, I found that a 16 mm Craftsman socket fit pretty closely on the 17mm pin. Added a layer of electrical tape to it and it's snug. Similarly, the outside was very close, and a single layer of black tape made it pretty snug. Works well enough now to get the front end up without putting pressure on the fairing. I had to unbolt the little bracket that holds the horn and brake lines to get a clear shot at the hole. As I only expect to use this stand for working on the bike, I can stand unbolting and rebolting the bracket when I need to lift the front end. Maybe I'll look into some stainless brake lines, with dual lines all the way (no brake line splitter), and that will resolve that issue.

I just measured my homemade pin (with a micrometer), and it comes in at .880", or 22.35 mm, so I'm guessing 23 mm would be the right size for a nice snug fit.

Last edited: