Headlight Upgrade. Rabbitman109 where you at?

Boss4hoss

Hi Everyone. The stock bulb is not adequate for night time riding in Denver. I'm not looking for a whole assembly upgrade as I am already into the $1000's into my cosmetic upgrades of carbon fiber. I'm interested in your experience into an upgrade that will make me more noticeable to left turn green light killers and a little improvement in nighttime visibility of the distance of the road ahead so that I may be able to make adjustments quicker and have a further out eye-lead-time. Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jake- in Denver. Please PM me if you have additional info you don't want to share in this thread.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Rabbit's out of the business..
outside of doing an HID, you can add aftermarket spot lights, just have to make sure they're legal in your state for on-road use and that you don't over-wattage them for the bike electrical system.

Stick with LED and power shouldn't be a problem, but will come at a price... something like the Denali brand..

Marthy had added some onto his ride and said they worked ok, not sure if he has any pics or not, I believe his first set were too high wattage and killed his battery, but can't quiet remember.

HeresMyMind

I can do retrofits for our bikes, I've already done 3 FZ8s and 2 FZ9s. I usually do cars but have started doing bikes since I got one. What are you looking for

-B

Sinooch

Rabbit's out of the business..
outside of doing an HID, you can add aftermarket spot lights, just have to make sure they're legal in your state for on-road use and that you don't over-wattage them for the bike electrical system.

Stick with LED and power shouldn't be a problem, but will come at a price... something like the Denali brand..

Marthy had added some onto his ride and said they worked ok, not sure if he has any pics or not, I believe his first set were too high wattage and killed his battery, but can't quiet remember.

do you happen top know why rabbit went out of business? i talked to him in the best about getting some work done, but have gotten a chance to save up some money yet. Something happen or he just up and said screw it?

HeresMyMind

I dont know the exact reason, but what I can tell you is that there isnt much money to be made. Example: average parts for a good retrofit for a single projector range from 130-140$ on the cheap end, or 200-400$ on the expensive end, for JUST PARTS. ontop of that you are talking at least 4-5 hours worth of labor. if he charges 175$, he is probably only making 10-15$ an hour at max. And ontop of it, customers dont like to shell out $ for good headlights, people dont understand the quality. they'd rather spend $ on exhausts and tunes and such.

Parts for my personal fz8 retrofit: Mini D2S 3.0 Projector 60$, Osram CBI 66240 D2S Bulb, 85$, Morimoto 55 watt ballast 55$, Wire Harness 25$, Shroud 20$, LED angel eye 35$.

That is 280$ in Parts alone. No one wants to spend that + labor. everyone is cheap! Now you can do ebay or cheap projectors/bulbs/ballasts/harness but you end up with crap for 145$

-B

Sinooch

alright. i get it. basically him getting tired of people is a very good possibility when he doesnt profit enough to deal with it. Ive been in situations like that before. Sucks but its understandable

Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone who got the retrofit done by Rabbitman109, have some kind of parts list? Have gone through my forum messages and emails and can't find anything. Just having issues with my headlight. Looks like water has got through and only have the outer ring of LEDs working. Everything else seems to be dead.

HeresMyMind

Sorry to revive an old thread but does anyone who got the retrofit done by Rabbitman109, have some kind of parts list? Have gone through my forum messages and emails and can't find anything. Just having issues with my headlight. Looks like water has got through and only have the outer ring of LEDs working. Everything else seems to be dead.

Post a photo of your headlight and what part isn't working. I can send you links to the parts you need. I also retrofit headlights.

-B

Thanks B.

Here's a pic:

IMG_20140512_083039.jpg

It's pretty much the whole assembly. Outer amber ring, inner white ring is no longer solid and not sure if it's the projector but it no longer has low or high beam. Going to be taking a closer look at it this weekend, hopefully it's just a connection issue.

Post a photo of your headlight and what part isn't working. I can send you links to the parts you need. I also retrofit headlights.

-B

HeresMyMind

for some reason my reply didnt go through.

parts used in that build.

Morimoto Mini D2S 2.0
Morimoto Panamera Shroud
110mm Outer Halo
80mm Inner Halo

check the main fuse to the wireharness you installed if the lowbeam/high