Having enough gear in traffic

FZER

Avid Rider
Another thing I experienced as a rookie rider years ago. I was cruising in top gear in heavy traffic when a car pulled out of a parking lot going in my same direction right at me. :eek: I didn't have but just a second to react and the only thing that I did was get in the gas, well my rpm's were so low, this was on a Ninja 650, that when I got in the gas there wasn't anything there. So leason learned when I'm in heavy sort of slow traffic I make sure I'm in fourth or at the most fifth, so I have enough power to accelerate if need be.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Good advice, some times in traffic if I dont like the way someone's driving near me I'll speed up and keep my distance.

H

Hoover

I do about 75% of my riding in city traffic, I am very aware and proactive. I ride with 1 finger on the both levers at all times.
On my TL1000S, 4th gear was doable in some traffic situations, but on all of my 4 cyl bikes, I almost never get out of 3rd.
Better throttle response in case you need to get on it, better throttle response if you need to slam it shut and get engine braking.
More noise for my own enjoyment and to get others attention.
This motor revs so freely, you can go from 25mph to 75mph in 3rd, no bother.

Last edited:

FZER

Avid Rider
That's pretty cool I hadn't thought of it like that. The engine braking stuff that is. Good idea!

mano1192

I do about 75% of my riding in city traffic, I am very aware and proactive. I ride with 1 finger on the both levers at all times.
On my TL1000S, 4th gear was doable in some traffic situations, but on all of my 4 cyl bikes, I almost never get out of 3rd.
Better throttle response in case you need to get on it, better throttle response if you need to slam it shut and get engine braking.
More noise for my own enjoyment and to get others attention.
This motor revs so freely, you can go from 25mph to 75mph in 3rd, no bother.

I'm with you as about 90% of my riding is city riding.knowing your route and the typical trouble spots is important also, but having meat to use is key in a sticky situation and is 101 city driving technique!

FZER

Avid Rider
I also just bought an Icon Hi-Vis Alliance yellow/green reflective helmet and an Conta Mil-spec jacket in hopes of not getting ran over too. I like the helmet it fits pretty good, but is a little noisy compared to an Arai I had. The jacket is ok, but I would like it to have adjustments on the arms to keep the pads in the right place.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I imagine if ECU senses decel it results in fuel cut-off anyways, so what will really dictate fuel efficiency is your "lead foot"

W

WARPTH

I also just bought an Icon Hi-Vis Alliance yellow/green reflective helmet and an Conta Mil-spec jacket in hopes of not getting ran over too. I like the helmet it fits pretty good, but is a little noisy compared to an Arai I had. The jacket is ok, but I would like it to have adjustments on the arms to keep the pads in the right place.

In my neck of the woods,
the pricks are generally too drunk or too busy texting their boy friends that they even manage to not see (or hear) big emergency vehicles with flashing lights and blaring sirens...
:eek::eek5::hbwall::cuss::depressed::surrender:
so its strictly rider intuition that keeps us alive...

D

DJK1505

Come live in the DC metro area. Some days in the truck it will take me better than 3 hours to do 37 miles. Got the bikes back out, I never spend more than an hour in traffic now. Keep your engine in its power. You have absolutly no time to try and down shift, observe an exit or devise a strategy to manuver around the jack ass that just jumped three lanes over and is about to take you out. I ride like a jack ass ,but it has its purpose. I have been pushed off the roads, been pushed into another car, bumped in the rear, people will throw shit out their windows when they see you splitting the lanes, had to dodge doors being flung open, etc. This is the worst area for traffic, but it teaches you how to use your head and constantly be planning ahead.

DJ

master paper clip

Come live in the DC metro area. Some days in the truck it will take me better than 3 hours to do 37 miles. Got the bikes back out, I never spend more than an hour in traffic now. Keep your engine in its power. You have absolutly no time to try and down shift, observe an exit or devise a strategy to manuver around the jack ass that just jumped three lanes over and is about to take you out. I ride like a jack ass ,but it has its purpose. I have been pushed off the roads, been pushed into another car, bumped in the rear, people will throw shit out their windows when they see you splitting the lanes, had to dodge doors being flung open, etc. This is the worst area for traffic, but it teaches you how to use your head and constantly be planning ahead.

DJ

I hear u, every one thinks me and my friend ride like a bunch of ignorent ass holes but people dont realise that we have to deal with all the stupid drivers that are to busy texting and putting on make up and shit, but i call it agressive driving and that agressive driving has kept me out of certain death cituation multiple times. Its about the only way to be proactive on a bike with how many horrible drivers are on the road.
But I in no way speed where its unessecary, in small towns I just take my sweet time and enjoy all the attention my baby gets sitting in traffic :)

Jwood9

I totally agree with you in having enough gear. Riding gear and engine gear. Im in the gulfcoast of florida which is snowbird and old driver heaven this time of year. The weather doesnt excuse the left hand turn from the right lane, the random stopping in the road, and the terrible drivers around here. You need protection and the bike to be ready at all times!