Hate Winter, Too much time on my hands

D

DJK1505

So I got bored last night and decided to take the yamaha badges off on the air box cover. OK, thats a pain in the A**!!!!! So after nicking and scuffing the right side up pretty good, I got both sides off and cleaned. Still bored and nothing else to do, I decide to paint my rear sprocket.

So this only took me until midnight or so. Just getting over Pneumonia, the meds are like crack. Wide awake, nothing to do on any other bike, I sit staring at the FZ8. What else can I do! Pulling out the lap top, looking at the 2012 FZ8's I decide I want to paint the air box cover a flat black. If it turns out good, and I like it, I have a few other pieces in mind I want to paint to match. Well searching the garage I do not have all the materials I need, so I hop online and start researching best methods to rattle can this, and make it look good. AFter several youtube vids, online blogs, etc. its 4AM, sleep finally! Parts store opens at 0900, wide awake at the door when they open, I get all the materials. So here is where I am so far!

Lets start sanding

After the first round of sanding with 400 grit paper.

Third round of sanding, finished up with 600 grit and then washed it and scrubbed it with warm water, dawn soap, and a scoth brite pad.

Ghetto paint booth

First Prime

It is dring right now, I have two more coats of primer to paint, sand between each, finish sanding with 1000 grit, then move onto paint. I bought Duplicolor flat black, we will see how it turns out. I will keep updating on each stage!!!!!!

Last edited:
D

DJK1505

Bad ass!

How many primer coats did you do?

Did you wet sand your final primer coat?

I am thinking I am just going to dry sand my final (3rd) coat primer, and then wet sand my top coat. Not sure but I am pretty sure I will do 3 coats top coat, then let sit for 24-48 hrs, then wet sand, let dry for another day, spray another 2-3 coats, wet sand, sit 24-48 hrs, then top coat, wet sand, rubbing compound, cure for a week and then buff. This is my first real piece to paint. Have done models and wheels, but nothing like this. Any advice would be appreciated!

DJ

D

Deleted member 438

I was thinking about doing the whole bike with just a matte clear. Does anyone know if this will work?

K-Gr.

That is rarely a good idea :/
Matt paint will quickly start to shine in places where it contacts anything occasionally (wiring, legs..), is less resistant to scratches and every single touch is visible on it.

If you really want to go that way - do a full paint job. That is the only way it can look somewhat good in some time. If you want to do it cheap - wrap it. Tank, fairing - it should go easy, cheap and will protect your paint beneath. Not to mention you can always throw it away if you get bored...

I do custom paint on bikes, but if I wanted matt black - I would wrap it.

D

Deleted member 438

That is rarely a good idea :/
Matt paint will quickly start to shine in places where it contacts anything occasionally (wiring, legs..), is less resistant to scratches and every single touch is visible on it.

If you really want to go that way - do a full paint job. That is the only way it can look somewhat good in some time. If you want to do it cheap - wrap it. Tank, fairing - it should go easy, cheap and will protect your paint beneath. Not to mention you can always throw it away if you get bored...

I do custom paint on bikes, but if I wanted matt black - I would wrap it.

Wouldn't it be tough to wrap a bike since there are so many contours?

beefcake morris

Nice work so far. I see that you removed the front sproket cover. Do you get a lot of greese flung every where? I like the looks of it:cool:

D

DJK1505

mate, I am ridiculous when it comes to cleaning my bike/ trucks/ wheelers etc. I clean it constantly and only oil my chain after I ride, when its warm and park it. Then before I ride I do a quick wipe down of the chain. I spent 2 hours saturday cleaning the nooks and crannies with tooth pics, q-tips, and parts cleaner! Llike I said ridiculous! Im just OCD like that! LMAO!!!

D

DJK1505

Update,

Here is a pic after the first coat has sat for 24 hours and wet sanded. Sanded it with 1000 grit paper.

Here is after another 3 top coats.

Going to let it sit for 24 hours, wet sand with 2000 grit paper, then another 2 top coats and then my first clear coat. Let it sit for 24 and then continue with the clear! Prob going to do 5-6 coats and finish off sanding with 3000 grit and Meguirs ultimate compund. Hope it turns out nice, starting to sand my FZ1 down and want to flat black the whole thing. We'll see how it turns out!

trixster8

Bad ass!

How many primer coats did you do?

Did you wet sand your final primer coat?

I am thinking I am just going to dry sand my final (3rd) coat primer, and then wet sand my top coat. Not sure but I am pretty sure I will do 3 coats top coat, then let sit for 24-48 hrs, then wet sand, let dry for another day, spray another 2-3 coats, wet sand, sit 24-48 hrs, then top coat, wet sand, rubbing compound, cure for a week and then buff. This is my first real piece to paint. Have done models and wheels, but nothing like this. Any advice would be appreciated!

DJ

You're puting a lot more effort into yours than I did. But that's good, it's going to turn out great!

D

DJK1505

Im using the duplicolor top coat clear. Pretty sure its gonna have a tad gloss to it once im done. Should look pretty cool, we'll see, if I dont like it I will just wet sand the clear off and spray a few more blacks!!!!!

D

Deleted member 438

I painted mine with duplicolor satin black after I dropped that cover when trying to get to the AIS, and after one season it doesn't look so good because I didn't clear it. I kinda want to do the whole bike in a matte finish. Post up pics of your FZ1 when you're done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DJK1505

Right on, the 1 I took the front fender off, fairing off, and am only painting the tank and rear fender. I am going to finish the exhaust tomorrow or wed at my buddies shop (need his welder to finish) then I am going to bring it home to start paint. Will get a few pics up once I get that thing done.

Anyone want a FZ1 that will be about totally rebuilt with 60K on it, hit me up ($3000.00)! LOL Want a Vstar 1300 to bob out!

D

DJK1505

2001 FZ1, brand new tires, wheel bearings, stem bearing, stainless brake lines, new shorty levers, new bar end mirrors, new front headlight assembly, home made tail tidy, integrated blinkers with clear red tail light, chain, boroscoped cylinders no scaring on walls, compression test had a variance of 13PSI, balanced carbs, 12" glass pack for exhaust painted black and wrapped, and finally it will have a new paint job as well! Tank and tail flat black, frame is silver! Its been a fun winter project traded it for a dirt bike, so I haven't had a chance to ride it except around the block!

D

DJK1505

I dont know, I have wrapped a few things, that tail would be a bitch to ge,t and the air box cover!! If you get it done, send over some pics. Would be real interested to see how it turned out!!!!

D

DJK1505

WOW! So I wet sanded down my third coat of flat black! Do not like the way it looks on the bike, smooth and flat, doesn't really match any other piece on the bike. So I sprayed it with clear, it looks just like it used too! So, I sanded the clear off, and sprayed it flat again. Going to let that dry, hopefully it will have massive orange peel, looks good next to the frame that way! Kind of textured like the frame. I will post up pics as soon as its on!