Gruesome Video

cambo

Avid Rider
Probably the most graphic motorcycle injury video I've seen. Not for the squeemish. Wear your protective gear folks. And don't fly hundreds of feet through the air into gas station signs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOaezU-TAQs]Horrific crash aftermath in hospital - YouTube[/ame]

FZ8Panda

Holy S*&@! This is the most gruesome crash aftermath I've seen... Sobering as hell. Got goosebumps watching it. This is why I got in a habit of wearing gear no matter the temps. He seemed to be in good spirits post surgery though despite amputations.

All I can is WOW... Ride safe out there guys and don't forget your gear.

master paper clip

Damnit Cambo I was eating!!!! But serious that's some crazy stuff, that's one lucky man to survive... I pray I never have to go threw that

BigD

a true inspiration indeed! what an absolute gent. sucks he had to go through that but so good to see him smile.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

NoNine4me

Wow!! Truth is that it can happen to anybody. Ride safe people!
Yes it can happen to anybody, no one is immune. But all the gear, all the time would have made it a LOT less serious. If this guy had been wearing full leathers with armor and a full face helmet his injuries would have been reduced considerably. Good leather and armor can prevent all those slicing and crushing injuries. I found out what happens with denim jeans the hard way. Next couple of crashes I had full leathers, zero injuries. Course I didn't slam into anything but leathers prevented road rash.

Ride safe and have fun, Happy Father's Day to any Dads out there.:)

Blackfin

The first vid...I dunno what to say. Gruesome doesn't begin to describe that. Perhaps they should show this video in an MSF course: "Folks, if you screw up on a bike -- or someone screws up in front of you, this could be you. Know the risks you're taking on..." Sort of an extension of the sort of movies they used to show back in driver's ed classes.

Right now, I don't feel like riding. I'm sure that will pass when this fades from memory but damn...

Bagman

To those that joke about "selling their bike" just remember the same tragedies happen to pedestrians, cyclists, motorists, airline passengers, etc.. etc..

Videos like these are sobering, indeed, if not for the sole purpose to reminding everyone to ride safe and wear the proper gear. The simple truth is that life is risk, and unfortunate, horrific accidents & incidents can and will happen. Do your part to reduce the unnecessary risks. I'll say one of them: slow down.

Blackfin

To those that joke about "selling their bike" just remember the same tragedies happen to pedestrians, cyclists, motorists, airline passengers, etc.. etc..

True, but motorcyclists have particularly high rates compared to other means of travel. Using just one "at hand" stat, in 2011, road-death rates in Great Britain were (per billion miles traveled):

- automobile drivers: 4
- bicyclists: 35
- pedestrians: 41
- motorcyclists: 125

Motorcyclists accounted for the highest fatality rate of all road users. It's not a stretch to say that the risk of motorcycling is, unfortunately, disproportionately higher than for other forms of travel.

Videos like these are sobering, indeed, if not for the sole purpose to reminding everyone to ride safe and wear the proper gear. The simple truth is that life is risk, and unfortunate, horrific accidents & incidents can and will happen. Do your part to reduce the unnecessary risks. I'll say one of them: slow down.

Absolutely key. Combined with situational awareness, keeping your head on a swivel, anticipating, planning escape routes etc, you can be much safer though likely never as safe as if you were in a cage.

Bagman

Absolutely, Blackfin. It's a no brainer that something like a motorcycle would by default come with greater risk and higher fatality rates. The risk-reward balance is something each of us debated amongst our self, friends, family, and pets before deciding to start riding (or continue) each season. I am sure we'd all agree on the saying, "with great risk comes great reward."

However, the disproportionate number of "125" (example given) doesn't tell the full story. HOW did that number get so disproportionately high? Younger riders perhaps? Lack of gear? Complacency in riding and not doing all the things you mentioned above? Those are all rhetorical questions. The answer, I think, is in very large part based on what we are both saying. In a nut-shell: Ride Safe.