Going to a 190 rear tire?

I have heard that going to 190 tires will help with peg scrapping issues. Has anyone put a 190 on the stock wheal? How did it effect the handling and
bikes geometry? It cost a little more but was it worth it?

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I have heard that going to 190 tires will help with peg scrapping issues. Has anyone put a 190 on the stock wheal? How did it effect the handling and
bikes geometry? It cost a little more but was it worth it?

A 190 is a wider tire which means it will take more to lean the bike that far BUT it depends on the height. a 190/50 is a flatter tire, harder to lean all the way. The 190/55 is a higher (rounder) profile and is easier to lean.

The stock FZ8 runs a 180/55. You could try a 180/50 to achieve the same results and stay within you size. The bike will feel a bit harder to turn into the corner.

The other option is getting off the seat a lot more which keeps the bike more upright in the corner and allows you to turn even faster without scraping.

Have you removed the peg feelers yet?

H

Hoover

I will be going to a 190/55 as soon as the stock rubber is junk. I have had 190's before on my Bandit, my TL1000 and on my Z1000. I like the way the rear feels with the wider tire but it also looks badass!!!

I love to go fast and I have been riding on the street along, long time, but I am getting older and I have bad knees. So climbing around on the bike is not as easy as it once was. Now I gas it and throw it into turns and let the bike do most of the work. This worked well on my R1, but that thing was so uncomfortable and only did one thing well (hauled ass). I like this bike because I can ride it for hours and it handles ok. Being 220lbs diving into turns with any kind of dip it goes straight to the peg feelers. I have already purchased upgraded fork springs and a valve dampening pack. A well as a upgraded rear shock. I just have not had time to install them yet. If need be I was thinking about the 190 rear tire.

millarjk

where did you order the fork parts i weigh 250 and notice the major compression on the front,i would like it to be stiffer.any info would be awesome ,thanks jeff

D

DJK1505

RI am running BT016 120/70R17 and a 190/50R17, freaking love the tires and the 190. It is much easier in the corners, I have much more confidence, I am leaning much much much harder in the corners, It feels a bit lighter in the front when I am switching a lot. Hard lefts to rights, but I think that has a lot to do with me lowering the front also. Anyways I love the 190 on the rear!

DLSGAP

Personally, I would stick with the 180. The 190's are designed for a 6" rim, not the 5.5" that the 8 has. Yes, a 190 will fit, but squeezing it on to the smaller rim will change the overall profile of the tire. I think the best things to do to fix any handling issues are to get rid of the stock tires in favor of something sportier (I'm going to pilot road 2ct's), fir a front and rear suspension swap in favor of something that is adjustable and properly set for you... and get some rearsets that are more solidly mounted to get rid of all the flex in them

Scraping issues are fixed

I have since upgraded my suspension with .95kg springs, upgraded valve
and a Penske 8900E shock. I will stick with the stock size tire, but may use a softer compond. It is kinda nice to get more that 2,000 miles out of a set of tires.

DLSGAP

Hawk,

give the pilot roads a whirl. Thats what i'll be going to. My buddy gets about 6k on a rear on his speed triple and he's hard on the throttle and likes to wheelie alot. and with the compound being harder in the center and softer as you go to the edge, they stick great as well.