Givi Monokey Hard Case Install

dubel

This is a review of the Givi PLXR and monorack arms for the FZ8. Ultimately I kept only the V35 side cases but in search of a luggage solution I tested the V46 top case. Please read through the entire post before you start ordering parts! I'll start with the cases themselves:

Givi V46 Tech Top Case
The top case is of high quality, with a sturdy locking mechanism. I chose the V46 as it seemed to be the smallest case that would fit my laptop. It does fit my 15" laptop (14"x10.5") within the laptop case. In fact, I could probably put at least three laptops stacked in their cases. The "lights" are not reflective and cannot be seen at night unless LEDs are installed or retroreflective tape placed inside. The case fits one full size helmet easily and sometimes two full face helmets. The rounded shape does not match the FZ8's angular lines. The only real complaint I have with the V46 is not the case itself but the monorack arm that supports it. The monorack supports the case unnecessarily high. It could have been lowered at least 2 inches, and forward some without interfering with a passenger. Also, it would have been a lot cooler if the mount plate could be easily removed as you can with the PLXR racks. To mount the V46 on the FZ8 you need the 366FZ monorack arms and the M5 mounting plate.

Givi V35 Side Cases

The V35 is sold as a pair with matching keys. They hold a lot of space but are not easy to fill to max capacity without removing them from the bike (since your contents want to spill out). Fortunately, the cases remove easily, and they have optional bags you can purchase for easier loading. They will also hold one full face helmet or surprisingly my laptop with its case. I didn't expect the laptop to fit which is why I ordered the V46; had I known I would have just purchased the V35. The shape of the V35 fits better with the FZ8's lines. I placed retro-reflective tape behind the lens so they can be seen at night. To mount the V35 on the FZ8 you need the PLXR366 and either the 366FZ used for the top case or (not both) the 366KIT to use the side cases only. The rack mount is very good though I do think Givi could have made them fit a bit closer to the bike frame. The following images shows the key locations on the racks and the V35 cases installed:

Installation:

If using a top case install the 366FZ monorack arms, if not, install the 366KIT. Whether installing the 366FZ or the 366KIT, you will need to remove the rear fender to install the mount points. Since Givi does not send you instructions on how to do this, here are some tips:
  • To remove the plastic rivets from the bottom, use a hex key to pop in the center about 1/8" of an inch. This will allow the rivets to free out from the bottom. To replace the rivet later, pull the rivet center pin back through the outer ring so that it is about 1/4" out; once placed in the destination hole, hold the two fender pieces together and push the center in flush and the rivet should be secured.
  • The entire fender top plastic will be removed including brake light. From the Givi instructions it looks as though the top fender plastic can separate further but you will not need to do this (nor can you without a lot of work). The bottom plastic cover also needs to be removed which means you will need to remove the license plate holder. Yes, this is a pain. Once the rivets and support bolts have been removed the fender will slide off rearward but you will need to guide it carefully while pulling the sides of the fore end outward to clear metal flanges. Remember this when replacing as to not scratch the paint on the plastic.

You need to cut two slots in the bottom plastic piece that you removed. A template is included. I followed the template to the T but later found that the slots needed to be slightly closer to the edges. You won't realize it until you try to get the rivets back in. You can bias your cuts wider to begin with, or use trial and error as I did and just widen the slots as needed for a comfortable fit.

If you are installing the V35 side cases, the turn signals on the factory license plate holder will need to be moved. A relocation kit is included with the PLXR366. I did the relocation but later decided it looked too ridiculous. And it's hard to install due to how the wires are routed. So don't bother with the relocation kit; instead get either the license plate holder from Yamaha (sold only in Europe) or some other tail tidy/fender eliminator. Keep in mind the visibility of your turn signals behind the bags, and compatibility with the monorack arms if using a top case. Alternately, a simple license plate holder along with an LED brake light with integrated turn signals would probably work nicely.

Here are some images to help you decide if the extra space of the top case is worth how awkward it makes the FZ8 look. This is what the FZ8 looks like with all three cases mounted:

These two pictures show just how far high and back the M5 mounting plate is installed. I can't figure the reasoning behind it as other bikes using the M5 do not have it mounted so high:

Some final notes:

1. The V35 side cases do stick out a lot, enough to discourage lane splitting. The top case might be better choice in California...
  2. The PLXR366 rack is well designed in that it can be removed quite easily with a special included key. However, on a raw utility naked bike like the FZ8 you can get away with leaving the racks on all the time.
  3. Having luggage on the bike adds so much convenience. You can pick up groceries on the way home, have a rain proof place to store your helmet, gloves, jacket, etc while making a stop, and of course space for a change of clothes if you are making a longer trip. I leave the side cases on most of the time.
  4. The cases do not interfere with the ability to take a passenger other than the initial climb on, though the FZ8 is already not the best passenger bike.
  5. There is sufficient clearance from the stock exhaust (about 2.5") though you'd want to confirm before installing a higher/longer pipe.

Parts List (Approximate US prices):

$200 PLXR366 rack for V36
$ 40 366KIT Mount Kit for side cases only (PLXR)
$500 V35 Side Cases
$100 366FZ Monorack arms kit supporting top case and optional PLXR
$ 50 M5 Top case Monokey mounting plate
$245 V46 Top Case
$ 30 Z228 lock set (optional)

So for example, for side cases only: $200 + $40 + $500 = $740
For top case only: $100 + $50 + $245 = $395
For both: $395 + $200 + $500 = $1095
If getting all three, you'll want the lock set so all cases use the same key.

H

Hoover

Although not any use to me, that is a great write up. Thanks for the effort. I'm sure many will find it usefull.

Speedo007

Now thats a proper touring setup! And lookin good the matte grey bike. Nice review, can't go wrong with Givi luggage, expensive but if I was touring 50% of the time of more that's what I'd have on my bike.

C

Camo

Awesome write up mate!
I can see what you mean about the top box but I'm betting over any distance two up, your pillion will be loving the back rest.

FZ8.UK

I agree

A proper touring kit,

I do a load of touring, minimum of a week at a time, i never take that much luggage with me,

If i needed that much capacity i would take my car.

Are must be riding with a pillion,

Take Care

F

Fazed

Last edited by a moderator:

Marthy

Very well done Mate! Look a little odd with all the luggage and no screen but I like it. I like the Givi's but never dig how far and high the cases sit on the bike. That's the main reason I did my own rack for my 6R.

dubel

Dubel please,
could you measure the inner distance in the photo?

At the highest part above the arrow it is 40.5 cm (16") within the supports. Where the arrow is approximately it is about 35.5 cm (14"). At the narrowest part near the bottom it is 30.5 cm (12").

TGPrevost

Great Information you provided

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review and include the photos. I purchased the same sidecases but decided to not have the topcase cause it does look out of place in the photos. I haven't installed them yet but the information you provided will be great to have on hand during the process.

rail

These two pictures show just how far high and back the M5 mounting plate is installed. I can't figure the reasoning behind it as other bikes using the M5 do not have it mounted so high:

I got done with the top rack install yesterday, and my copy of this seems to hold the rack lower than your picture shows, maybe Givi has modified them since you bought yours. I had to push in the left side rack arm in order to mount the Monokey rack, it was close but a few millimeters off one of the mounting holes. hopefully that doesn't cause any structural problems.

I also found out halfway through that the arms interfered with the turn signals on my tail tidy (in case anyone has one) so I had to throw the OEM fender back on, but it will probably work if you have an integrated tail light or just no turn signals.

View attachment 1771

Last edited:

clemmel

I think someone on the board already has these, but with all of the Givi option talk, has anyone else looked into or installed the Yamaha top rack option? This seems to hold the case a bit lower and closer to the bike:

https://yamahagenuineparts.com/Motorcycle/moreinfo.asp?ID=1322&shopcat=accessories&Class=Sport%20Bike&Year=2011&Model=FZ8

I'd like to add some sort of lockable storage on the bike but want to keep the whole package as streamlined as possible. I know that once you add a trunk to a naked sportbike you are sort of fighting a losing battle with that but the convenience factor keeps me interested.

chodatus

I've got the Yamaha rack installed. I got the dealer to install it when I purchased the bike. This is what it looks like.

clemmel

What is the size of the case you have on now - or is that the standard Yamaha one which I believe is 46 liters?