Getting younger riders into riding?

cxa0897

"We’re talking here about 20-somethings, predominantly with good educations, who are well-informed, but often still living at home with their parents. They have a lot of debt and a low-paying job – if they are lucky. (*Yes, I know there are exceptions to this.)

They don’t read newspapers. They don’t watch TV news. All of their information is sourced from the Internet.
"

My god that is a spot on description of my life. I do however ride, and have a few other friends that are recent engineering grads like myself riding also.

I would have been riding at 19 if it were possible, but my mother was the biggest obstacle. Even at 24 and a graduate of college, my mother went for months without speaking to me after I purchased the bike, and I moved in with my fiancee's family.

I am a bit of an extreme case here, but most of the obstacle come from the perception of bikes and their dangers. Young riders are discouraged from riding from the statistics of death and injuries. When you ride without gear, you will get hurt. With gear, that chance drops dramatically. Cost is a bit prohibitive as well, with supersports and sports generally going for 8-10k+, and insurance being unreal (I was quoted 7k a year for insurance on a new r6!). These are the bikes that the youth want. 250s are just not powerful enough to be "cool", and can be unsafe or uncomfortable on highways filled with traffic doing 85 mph. The 300 is borderline with its extra 10 or so hp, and has been doing well, at least around here ( I see a lot of them). If manufacturers could make some affordable 350-500cc sportbikes, I think the youth would take to it with considerable interest.

You need to know what the kids want, and they dont want touring bikes. They want something that looks fast, and goes [relatively] fast. Promoting sportbike racing would probably be a huge factor too, look at how drifting has driven the sales and production of cars like the fr-s and genesis, as well as classics like the 240.

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
I'm really not sure how to cope with this article. I'm 25 and I've been riding since I was able to get my MC permit. I guess it may help that all of my family on both sides ride but still. As far as the viewed as a primary source of transportation here in the states, well, I guess I can see that, I'm on my bike all the time unless it's truly a hazard (I.E. Icy Roads). On the flipside of that coin though, most of my friends that I ride with only pleasure ride and even that can be rare in some stretches. I guess really I haven't got too much to say except maybe I need to start talking up bikes a bit more, I thought letting my cages sit in the drive for months at a time spoke well enough but apparently I was mistaken.

97audia4

I know parents are a huge concern when kids buy motorcycles, a lot of my friends at age 24-26 don't have bikes because of their parents. Me on the other hand has grown up riding 85 cc two strokes at the age of 8 and driving all types of whicked fast go karts was what I liked. So my parents could care less i have a bike, I remeber at 16 getting my mc permit and on my way there my dad told me there is no bail money or money for speeding tickets from him so man up and do the time or pay the fine. Neither of my parents ride or ever road but I can see the media having a big effect on that age group still living at home can hold the sales of bikes up. To me it seems weird bc at age 18 I was out of my house living on my own and started my own business, its the younger crowed that seems to think every one owes then something and want the easy way out. That crowed can't get a loan bc of no job or barley living wage job and need mommy to sign the loan.

odsyv4

Riding

Im only 22 and come from a riding family so im lucky;). But i do have a few friends that have the problem of not being aloud to ride a street bike.....witch is weird bc one of them races sleds and dirt bikes. And not all 20 year olds think the world owes them anything, Ive had a job since I was 15 and before that I was out earning my keep mowing lawns and shoveling snow. I do live with my parents but thats out of choice....on both sides, my parents are geting older and theres things they cant do any more. Plus theres nothing like having you verry own personal mechanic. The problem isnt just that its this generation but that there parents havent made them relize life isnt that easy and you habe to work for what you want

Rotaryknight

Some of the youngsters I know do ride....though illegally.
The ones that dont ride are afraid of riding after seeing somebody they know crash.

The ones that do want to ride doesnt have a way to get the money needed to buy one. Their parents wont buy them one because of the dangers. If they barely have cash for a bike, they arent going to get any safety equipments. Its a hassle to shell out cash for a motorcycle which even for recreation is only for a couple of months in the year.

Bajaedition

this is a serious problem to bike manufacturers

so important that Harlley is releasing a line of 500cc and 750cc water cooled V twins

Just go to their website and check it our

Rotaryknight

this is a serious problem to bike manufacturers

so important that Harlley is releasing a line of 500cc and 750cc water cooled V twins

Just go to their website and check it our

I just read that in Cycle World. Cafe style will probably lure in young riders that just started college. I love the price and the styling :) If only I have space for another one....