Gank tank Scratches / Remove it

Nemo

Hi there !!! i just did the most horrible thing to my baby today ... feeling sad as hell !!

my gas tank had some minor Scratche ( web ) on the tank , so i decided to by some turtle wax ( paste kind ) and try to wax it a bit to make it look better ... so accidently took the wrong paste and used the compound one !$&?% !!!!!

the tank is so ugly now and have like 10 times more scratche on it ... its almost mate black now ... **** ! lol

how can i bring it back !? is it possible !?

if its not possible , ill try to plastic dip it mate black . Anyway all the rest of the bike is mate black so ... is the part of the tank we see ( painted parts ) is just a cover ? or if its the actual tank? it is possible to remove it so i can plasti dip it or should it do it when its installed ???

Or maybe remove the tank and bring it to a paint shop so they can bring it back like it was before i dont know ..

Last edited:

TorontoAlex

Depending on how bad it's scratched you may be able to get a pro to buff it back to life. If the scratches are not too deep, it may come back to life. I watched a show called Trucks! about 10 years ago with that Dana guy and he showed how to bring a paint job back to life on an old hood he had taped down the middle. One side left intact, there was a huge difference just using a buffer and some buffing compound in different grits.

Bagman

Is "Compound One" part of line of polishes for clear coat paint-jobs on vehicles? If so, I can't see why you couldn't (by hand or with a rotary buffer) continue to polish it back to life. This is assuming it's a polish compound safe for clear coated paint - meaning it couldn't damage the paint beyond repair. Compound One, by name, seems like it would be the roughest polish. So next would be to polish with a finer compound, and then finer still; then wax; then seal.