FZ8 with a big (R1) Heart!

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
So, somebody on my http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-general-discussion/2681-2013-fz8-break-garage-mods.html posted a link about an italian guy who put R1 internals into an Fz8...... Massima elaborazione FZ8 [con parti R1] - Presentazioni e lavori sulle nostre moto thanks GNoiZZ, and I got to tell you, Its kinda hard to follow even with Chrome Translation..... Im so flustered when I start thinking about doing something like this, I have had a few words with KWS in South Carolina about helping me accomplish something like this and its everyones opinion that it will be BIG BOOKU BUCKS because 1- not a lot of fz8 owners are doing it and 2- not a lot of FZ8 owners WOULD do it..... so Im already interested in doing the R1 cam swap, adn bore plate, and Im doing a R1 rear shock conversion right now, and an R1 fork, brake, and wheel conversion sometime in the summer...... so for me, I look at all this as just a stepping stone to having a true blue custom motorcycle. if I wanted an R1, I WOULD'VE BOUGHT ONE! But I wanted an 8, and I wanted to customize it. What are some of you guy's thoughts on this thread if you have some time to read through it. :D:p:confused::mad: (mixed emotions) lol

9 Lives

You always get the "why don't you just buy a ____". That comment is made by ppl that don't understand the tinkering/modding/customizing something to make it a true one of. I enjoy tinkering/modding almost as much as I do riding it. Its a hobby thing, I don't understand ppl who collect stamps, but I don't tell them to just buy them at the post office. Great work so far, I for one am really interested in what you are doing and what is possible with this engine.

Woody146

Banned
As am I...I would like to do full ohlins suspension swap and along with that...a lot of motor work...(San Jose Yamaha) suggested an r1 top end? Would that even work? I am extremely interested in making my bike faster..so...all that you share is appreciated!

Woody146

Banned
So, somebody on my http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-general-discussion/2681-2013-fz8-break-garage-mods.html posted a link about an italian guy who put R1 internals into an Fz8...... Massima elaborazione FZ8 [con parti R1] - Presentazioni e lavori sulle nostre moto thanks GNoiZZ, and I got to tell you, Its kinda hard to follow even with Chrome Translation..... Im so flustered when I start thinking about doing something like this, I have had a few words with KWS in South Carolina about helping me accomplish something like this and its everyones opinion that it will be BIG BOOKU BUCKS because 1- not a lot of fz8 owners are doing it and 2- not a lot of FZ8 owners WOULD do it..... so Im already interested in doing the R1 cam swap, adn bore plate, and Im doing a R1 rear shock conversion right now, and an R1 fork, brake, and wheel conversion sometime in the summer...... so for me, I look at all this as just a stepping stone to having a true blue custom motorcycle. if I wanted an R1, I WOULD'VE BOUGHT ONE! But I wanted an 8, and I wanted to customize it. What are some of you guy's thoughts on this thread if you have some time to read through it. :D:p:confused::mad: (mixed emotions) lol

Bike looks sweet! Almost unrecognizable as an 8!

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Omg what tail is that and how difficult was the swap

It's a newer r6 tail section, and it "shouldn't" be that hard..... MAY have to do some dremeling. I was going to borrow my buddy's r6 race tail and see if it bolted up, if it does, than it's probably not much different from the real tail. (Just lights and wires)

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
As am I...I would like to do full ohlins suspension swap and along with that...a lot of motor work...(San Jose Yamaha) suggested an r1 top end? Would that even work? I am extremely interested in making my bike faster..so...all that you share is appreciated!

From what these guys did (I think, broken English) they used an 2008 r1 head, cams, tensioner, bore plate, custom pistons (like JE), and a fz1 throttle body setup, and fz1 airbox, and new clutch internals from a fz1, cause the 8s wore out in 3k kilometers) The rest was figment and tuning.

We already know (thanks Dj!) that the 2008 r1 cams will swap over with NO mods, and you can degree them, with a few other r1 parts (chain, tensioner) you have about 116 at the wheel.
Now, again I'll say that I spoke with a top rate motor shop and they say that when they spin a motor faster (up to 1500 rpm more) they use *factory* bearings!
So this means that technically you could have a 13000 rpm motor with the cams that usually go to 13500.... And you could also get your bore plate over bored, and you would only be missing any fancy head work IF it even needed it.

I think that you could safely get to somewhere around 150 with this motor, it's just going to take someone brave/bored enough to do it.

The r1 full internal swap was interesting, but if think there was a lot more to it than I can get with google translate......

FastZ8

I personally love this idea and if I have my 8 long enough after warranty if something happens to the engine I will build it just to see what I can get out of her but as for now the engine internals are staying stock.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

FZ8Ryder

Omg what tail is that and how difficult was the swap

As Banky said, it is a newer R6 tail piece (roughly 2006 and on). I have looked into this and I have seen it done this way using the FZ8's subframe and some dremmeling. However I've seen an easier, possibly more expensive, way of using the R6 tail piece by also using the R6 subframe. It seems to just bolt right on to our frame. I've thought about doing that mod for a while.

TorontoAlex

I must have bad taste because I find that bike ugly as hell. It looks like a mish mash of parts thrown at it OCC style. The straight pipe from the 80s, the tacky LED rear end, the oversized fairing, the gold rims with white paint, the clear rear bracket. None of it goes together. I wouldn't spend $1000s to make my bike just a bit faster.

Last edited:

b-eock

I wouldn't want the R6 sub frame.... They're trash. Weak. Break so easily. You should read up on then. Our subframe is actually pretty sturdy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

FastZ8

I believe the only reason it looks cool is because it's different. Really I like the looks of the tail on our bike better than the r6 tail but that's just me.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
I wouldn't spend $1000s to make my bike just a bit faster.

I agree that the bike is a ascue, it doesn't really match up, but that's his business.... Now about your quote above.......

He made 178 at the crank, and 153 at the rear wheel...... That's not a "little" bit faster....... That's quite exceptional.

9 Lives

I agree that the bike is a ascue, it doesn't really match up, but that's his business.... Now about your quote above.......

He made 178 at the crank, and 153 at the rear wheel...... That's not a "little" bit faster....... That's quite exceptional.

That's more hp that an R1, outstanding.

FastZ8

What if you were to go on eBay or something of the sort and get a complete r1 engine and use the top end and change rings and bearings and such while you have it out. Those engines go on eBay for around 1300 to 2000 relatively often with low miles. Throttlebodys air box and all.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
What if you were to go on eBay or something of the sort and get a complete r1 engine and use the top end and change rings and bearings and such while you have it out. Those engines go on eBay for around 1300 to 2000 relatively often with low miles. Throttlebodys air box and all.

but now your paying too much because you don't need the rods, crank, or crank case.....

save the 1300, and use 700 of it for new proper pistons that you can bump your compression with and have proper valve cutouts....

FastZ8

but now your paying too much because you don't need the rods, crank, or crank case.....

save the 1300, and use 700 of it for new proper pistons that you can bump your compression with and have proper valve cutouts....

Very true unless you ever have a use for those extra parts or sell them and make a few bucks back.

Jubby

Has anybody got any further with this?? i am no expert and dont pretend to be but from what i have researched you should only need the below.

1. R1 cyclinder head from 07 or 08 (4 valve before the big bang 5 valve) c/w with the below
2. R1 cylinder Jugs
3. R1 Pistons
4. R1 Cam Shaft
5. Springs, buckets, shims etc.
6. Maybe Valves iam yet to confirm this yet i know the part numbers are differenbt but the fz8 valves might work. (again i am no expert and have not done these sorts of mods before)
7. i would also go a thinner head gasket for increased compression.

I am intending on doing this mod in the near future and already have a R1 Cam c/w valves, buckets and shims ready to go,.

I am currently hunting down a decent R1 head.

I will be doing a very basic home port and polish before putting the head on, nothing too major as i do not have money for a flow tester.

The bike will also need a ecu flash to raise the RPM and take away any factory restrictions, power commander 5 and dyno run.

Both bikes have the same stroke being 53.6mm so i would assume the crankshaft and lower end componements are fine.

The bike is not my everyday ride just a pleasure vessel on the weekend so the time is not an issue i could not care if it takes 3 months to complete start to finish running smoothly.

Does anybody know if anybody who speaks english has done this since tis thread???

I am no expert but hiope to be a bit more knowledgeable by the end of it and probably a few bucks lghter.

I have a 6 month plan to do this. and will do the whole thing myself = reciepe for disater!!!!

I would absorb any information given too me by anybody on here as for the umptheenth time i am no expert but have big balls!!!! (stupid could also be used where big balls are descriped)