FZ8- Tell Me About It! -Hard shifting?

jaggy1021

I'm new to yamaha completely. I just picked up a 2012 fz8 with 10,000 miles on it. Everything is stock as far as I can tell. Looks like it's never been crashed, because that would be obvious. Just minor scratches on the exhaust. I noticed the shifting can be a whole lot "harder" than something like my 2009 sv650s. "Harder" like loud, big jolt in the bike from neutral to first, and sometimes all other gears.

-I'm an experienced rider, owned quite a few bikes, never something like the fz with its styling and rider positioning. Yes, I want to wheelie it. Yes, I want to go fast. Yes, I'm learning both on this bike with time.
-I love this thing, and I want to keep it healthy, so I want your input on if this feeling when shifting (specifically from neutral to first) is typical and correct.
-Anything I should know that I wouldn't know as a beginner to these bikes?
- Say what you want, but I expected a bit more power out of a 779cc inline 4. It is quick, it is fast, but I just wonder if it is as fast as it should be.
-Just drop any knowledge you have on these fz8's, nothing is off topic. Mod's to go for, experience riding, hazards to know about it, typical problems with these bikes, important tips to know about these bikes.
THANKS A TON FOR WHATEVER INFO YOU HAVE FOR ME

Torbeach

I had the 2013 Fazer 8 (FZ8 with fairings) and it made a pretty good clunking sound when going from neutral to first. It seemed normal to me and was the same as the FZ6 that I had before it. Shifting through the gears while riding was smooth and don't recall any unusual noises. I did find that if I didn't downshift when coming to a stop that sometimes I would have to play around with it a little bit to get it into first. The bike was reliable and I didn't have any problems with it. The seat was pretty hard on long journeys so I upgraded to the SHAD seat and it was much better but still my butt would get sore after a couple of hours. I didn't feel the brakes were a strong point on this bike so I changed the pads to double H sintered and I believe it improved them pretty good. Stainless brake lines would improve them further. Coincidently I scratched the top of the muffler when I rested the brake caliper on it while changing the pads. Coming from a 600 FZ6 I found there to be more power lower down on the Fazer however overall I would say there wasn't much difference between the two. Some people have found good improvements with an ECU flash but I never went there. For the street it was quick enough for me.

Have fun with your new bike.

jaggy1021

I had the 2013 Fazer 8 (FZ8 with fairings) and it made a pretty good clunking sound when going from neutral to first. It seemed normal to me and was the same as the FZ6 that I had before it. Shifting through the gears while riding was smooth and don't recall any unusual noises. I did find that if I didn't downshift when coming to a stop that sometimes I would have to play around with it a little bit to get it into first. The bike was reliable and I didn't have any problems with it. The seat was pretty hard on long journeys so I upgraded to the SHAD seat and it was much better but still my butt would get sore after a couple of hours. I didn't feel the brakes were a strong point on this bike so I changed the pads to double H sintered and I believe it improved them pretty good. Stainless brake lines would improve them further. Coincidently I scratched the top of the muffler when I rested the brake caliper on it while changing the pads. Coming from a 600 FZ6 I found there to be more power lower down on the Fazer however overall I would say there wasn't much difference between the two. Some people have found good improvements with an ECU flash but I never went there. For the street it was quick enough for me.

Have fun with your new bike.
Thanks for the info man!

WebbyF

yeah mines the same. It has 7,000Ks on it now and sometimes its solid going in to First and then sometiems its smooth. I plan on trying new oil to see if that makes a difference.

a4martman

Have the same clunking on my 2012 fz8. Had it on fzs before also. Seems like it's just what they do. No amount of adjustment ever improved it.