FZ8 Rad Guard

wa2txcory

Hey guys,

My good friend Joe has been making RAD GUARDS for Gen II FZ1s for a while. I dont know why I didnt think of this till now but I just shot him and email and he said they will work on the FZ8-we just need to get the plastic piece that covers the rad on the FZ1 (about $12-$15). I am trying to see what the welcoming would be from the FZ8 site to try to see if he would give us an introductory price break if enough of us would be willing. I told him to send me one in Gold (matches the forks very closely). Havent seen a gold one yet but he also sells black ones. So, if want a rad guard from someone other than a major corporation let me know. Joe is awesome and I would totally stand behind him as he stands behind his work. I am attaching a couple links for you to see. One from the sister FZ1 site, one from a guy installing it, and one to his website. Let me know we could try to get a package deal-they look good.

Gen II Radiator Guards - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum

RadGuard

and

RAD-ARMOR

lothodon

Super Moderator
i'm near positive this was posted once before as i've seen both the fz1 forum pics and the website before (not that it's not ok to repost).

imo what nearly ALL the radiator guards cost is ridiculously overpriced. the only thing stopping me from having one (that and an exhaust hanger without the passenger pegs) is the cost.

wa2txcory

i'm near positive this was posted once before as i've seen both the fz1 forum pics and the website before (not that it's not ok to repost).

imo what nearly ALL the radiator guards cost is ridiculously overpriced. the only thing stopping me from having one (that and an exhaust hanger without the passenger pegs) is the cost.

Sorry if its a repost. I am kinda new to this site. Also, I use to ride with joe for a while till he moved north and had forgot he made these till I was just trolling the fz1 site and saw his guards. So, if it is a repost I apologize. I am going to get one in gold and I will post pics when it arrives.

lothodon

Super Moderator
the repost is fine with me as the old thread (if it was even on this site, but i do believe it was) was last year and is well buried.

just wish they were cheaper, but PLEASE do post pics!!!

what get's me is there isn't more than $10 in parts (probably less when purchased i big sheets) and if you've got a way to cut the metal holy cow could you mass produce these.

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-mods/80-radiator-guards.html

Last edited:

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Hey guys,

My good friend Joe has been making RAD GUARDS for Gen II FZ1s for a while. I dont know why I didnt think of this till now but I just shot him and email and he said they will work on the FZ8-we just need to get the plastic piece that covers the rad on the FZ1 (about $12-$15). I am trying to see what the welcoming would be from the FZ8 site to try to see if he would give us an introductory price break if enough of us would be willing. I told him to send me one in Gold (matches the forks very closely). Havent seen a gold one yet but he also sells black ones. So, if want a rad guard from someone other than a major corporation let me know. Joe is awesome and I would totally stand behind him as he stands behind his work. I am attaching a couple links for you to see. One from the sister FZ1 site, one from a guy installing it, and one to his website. Let me know we could try to get a package deal-they look good.

Gen II Radiator Guards - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum

RadGuard

and

RAD-ARMOR

I would be interested in a universal gold one.

wa2txcory

I would be interested in a universal gold one.

Yeah that the one I want also. Would look pretty sweet next to the forks. I am sending joe several pics of our radiator tonight cause it looks like the bracket might need to be different. He is going to fab one up, send it, I will see if it works, and then he will have them available. I seriously think gold would be awesome and I havent seen any other aftermarket ones that are gold except a beowulf one and its like 50 UK lbs which would be close to a $100 plus shipping. I will post pics once he gets it fab'd up and sent to me.

H

Hoover

I'd like to see one not cost eleventy million dollars.
Why are these "cosmetic" pieces so spendy?

Never had one on any of my water cooled bikes before: then again, this rad could use a cover up.

lothodon

Super Moderator
ok i've got to hit the hardware store today anyway, i'm going to see how much the sheets of metal similar to the above posted are. my company has a big machine shop that i know could cut the metal to any size i desire and i know where to get the rubber edging like posted.

i'll dig into just how much it would cost (we even have paint lines) and check to see if i could sneak a few through. don't hold your breath though.

jwhelan65

Hi Guys

I make the rad guards over on the FZ1 forums and up until now was not sure on the interest level here with the FZ8's. I should be able to do these at a reasonable cost. There is less involved with the FZ8's guard even though thay are the same stock radiator. I will have some details very soon here and maybe we can do an introductry low price to kick them off. All of my guards are set up to maintain 80% airflow to the radiator by matching the hole size with the gauge of the flexible steel. High engine temps have been a non-issue even in exteremely hot weather. Each of them is laser cut and powder coated in the gold or matte black which has proven to be extremely durable. They also come with the matching stainless hex bolts so that it can be mounted using your 4mm hex located in your tool kit.

I think I can do these in the $50 range plus shipping... I am working on one for Cory as we speak (thread originator).

Let me know if there is any interest..

Joe

lyric911

It is very close, however it will be shadowed somewhat because of where it is located. It still looks really good.

Do you by chance have a pic of a radiator cover that's not installed yet held up next to the forks? (FWIW, I'm probably going to buy either way. Just deciding between black and gold.)

jwhelan65

Here are some pics of both colors samples on the FZ1's

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Hi Guys

I make the rad guards over on the FZ1 forums and up until now was not sure on the interest level here with the FZ8's. I should be able to do these at a reasonable cost. There is less involved with the FZ8's guard even though thay are the same stock radiator. I will have some details very soon here and maybe we can do an introductry low price to kick them off. All of my guards are set up to maintain 80% airflow to the radiator by matching the hole size with the gauge of the flexible steel. High engine temps have been a non-issue even in exteremely hot weather. Each of them is laser cut and powder coated in the gold or matte black which has proven to be extremely durable. They also come with the matching stainless hex bolts so that it can be mounted using your 4mm hex located in your tool kit.

I think I can do these in the $50 range plus shipping... I am working on one for Cory as we speak (thread originator).

Let me know if there is any interest..

Joe

Count me in for a gold one!

H

Hoover

I'm in for sure.
Prob gold, but lets see when the finished product is done.

Wieb27

I'm interested! I would really like to see the gold one on in a photo first though.

Very interested for that price!