FZ8 Oil level

Nemo

This is my first bike .. i own it since 1 month and i decided to change the oil even if it was not due ! fresh start ! i bought 10w50 full synthetic castrol oil ( this is what the shop told me to use )

my question is regarding the oil level oin in the window ( gage ) .. considering 100% mean all windows covered , i am more at 80% atm is that too much ... some people said i should not go over 50% of that window covered ! !?!?!

i basicly used 3.10 L what is recommended in the manual ... i am fine ???

JSP

Administrator
As long as it is in the window you are good. I like to keep it a hair towards the top/full mark myself. Just do not go too much more than that to where you are much higher than the window.. Make sure you are checking the level with the bike standing upright and not on the kick stand.

MotoZen

How bad is it if your oil is too full?

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Nemo

As long as it is in the window you are good. I like to keep it a hair towards the top/full mark myself. Just do not go too much more than that to where you are much higher than the window.. Make sure you are checking the level with the bike standing upright and not on the kick stand.

nah i check it out with the bike strait , not on the stand !! and the window is 80% full

618FZ8

Manual says in between the two tick lines on the gage. Mine is a little over from the dealership honestly. I'm gonna do a change this weekend and get it in the middle. How much do filters for these run? I'd assume less than a car, I'm sure I'd be surprised.

DanS

Commuter
Manual says in between the two tick lines on the gage. Mine is a little over from the dealership honestly. I'm gonna do a change this weekend and get it in the middle. How much do filters for these run? I'd assume less than a car, I'm sure I'd be surprised.
Around $10 for a K&N
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/KN-204-Motorcycle-Powersports-Performance-Filter/dp/B000E2CVI8"]Amazon.com: K&N KN-204 Motorcycle/Powersports High Performance Oil Filter: Automotive[/ame]

rail

There are two lines to the left of the window, those are the minimum and maximum volume lines. The engine holds 2900 ml - it's stamped somewhere near the oil port, this is the max oil volume including filter. I use a graduated cylinder - I'm super anal. I put in exactly 2900 ml and after a warm up ride the oil level is just a hair below the upper line.

Last edited:

MotoZen

Keep in mind that I think the oil filter can alert the capacity a bit. I put in 3 quarts of oil and it's slightly overfilled with a k&n filter.

Bolstie

Too much oil is worse than not quite full. Too much oil may result in oil pressure being greater than the engine oil seals allow. Oil pressure is sometimes related to engine revs. Higher engine revs, the great the oil pressure. If too much oil at continually high revs for any length of time you just may blow an oil seal somewhere. Could be very costly.

I always err on the "just a little bit less" side of things on this issue.

Rotaryknight

How bad is it if your oil is too full?

my friend has his 2013 gsxr1000 a quart more than needed and his bike was seriously running crappy. Even I can catch up to him on the highway when we are both full throttling it.

Good thing he didnt blow any oil seals or rings.

Took a syringe with a small rubber line and pulled out a quart. Runs like a champ now.

Zenfist

Hey guys, anyone else have an issue with the amount the manual says and the amount the window on the bike shows? Every time I change the oil, it comes out where I can only see air in window if I pull bike a little too far of center. I use a measure cup and put in the exact amount it says, but it always is too much. It is such a pain that the manual says to check the level when engine is cold, I mean seriously?

Ok, I re-read the manual, it doesn't say cold, it says warm it up then turn it off. Then wait a few minutes, then check. When you put in the listed amount it fills it to the top line in the window.

Last edited:

Bagman

How often do you guys change your oil??

It's kind of a silly question to ask. The answer should be the same for everyone, and it should be what's written in the manual. Based on the oil (synthetic, mineral or mix) it goes by a length of time or by mileage - whichever comes first. At the very least, however, you should be doing it once a season. I'll likely finish this year with pretty well 10,000kms on the ODO so I'll be switching to AMSOIL Synethic. I'll be changing the oil at the end of the season and will park it (won't ride with fresh oil). Next season I'll go the entire season and change at the end. That'll be my routine.

Gem rod

This is my first bike .. i own it since 1 month and i decided to change the oil even if it was not due ! fresh start ! i bought 10w50 full synthetic castrol oil ( this is what the shop told me to use )

my question is regarding the oil level oin in the window ( gage ) .. considering 100% mean all windows covered , i am more at 80% atm is that too much ... some people said i should not go over 50% of that window covered ! !?!?!

i basicly used 3.10 L what is recommended in the manual ... i am fine ???

Also don't forget that is depends on how level the road is on which your bike stands. Are you using a paddock stand?

I take the additional precaution of measuring out the correct quantity. 3.1 litres rings a bell. I find an old clean container, fill it with water using a measuring jug then mark the level with a thick black pen. Then empty it out and dry it and then fill it with oil ready to put in the bike.

The way i always done it and never had a problem is by; make sure bike is warmed up, then shut bike off let it sit for about 2 minutes, check oil level on a level surface and bike upright, as long as the oil is above the half window mark your good.