FZ8 Idle!!

FZ8Hawaii

What is your tach reading at idle in neutral? My new bike is reving around 1100 and higher. Saw something in the owners manual about idle speed being 1100-1150. Seems high, more so when tapping down to first gear and hearing that klunk sound!! Any feedback on that and if anyone has lowered their idle themselves, if its possible.

K-Gr.

Rev are normal, this engine goes to 12k rpm, so why worry about 1100 rmp at idle? it is not a car :)

And yes, first gear engages like a hammer hit...

C

Camo

I have mine set to Idle at 1200 Rpm's...Pretty sure the suggested Idle is between 1100-1250Rpm's or something very similar.

lyric911

What is your tach reading at idle in neutral? My new bike is reving around 1100 and higher. Saw something in the owners manual about idle speed being 1100-1150. Seems high, more so when tapping down to first gear and hearing that klunk sound!! Any feedback on that and if anyone has lowered their idle themselves, if its possible.

The owner's manual tells you how to adjust idle speed. There's a large silver screw on the left side of the bike. Yours doesn't need adjusted though if you're @ 1100.

the borg

First gear clunk is normal. Every bike I have ever owned has had a nice clunk when put into first gear.

G Chase

Pillion
Had my idle set at 1200 rpm according the to bikes tachometer. Then I installed a Power Commander V. When connected to a laptop, the PCV user interface showed higher... around 1350 rpm. I set the idle to PCV's reading of 1200. Now the bikes tach says 1000 RPM but PCV says 1200. That's where I'll leave it. Seems to be fine that way and doesn't feel like it's idling fast.

Could this be another FZ8 'thing' like the speedo reading too high?

FZER

Avid Rider
Yeah, to the original poster, that is completely ok, and yes it will run like dew key till it starts to reach temps of about 110 to 120. Very rich for the cold starts then once up to temps the bike starts to lean things out and the idle becomes much better.

Fizzer8

good to hear that 1st gear engagement is normal sledge hammer feeling lol

was a bit concerned when I first used it.

AlCab

Bringing this one back to life. I know that the service manual says the proper idle speed is between 1150 and 1250 and mine is in that range and like everyone else, I have the first gear lunge/clunk when putting it in first from idle at a stop. My question is, is there any harm in lowering the idle down to say, 900 rpm to reduce the first gear clunk? Will it hurt anything? Has anyone tried this?

D

Deleted member 438

If it's too low I think it's possible for the bike to stall when revving down.

W

WARPTH

if you dont report back we'll just assume you have stalled and crashed. :)