Fz8 gauges stopped working

moto873

Hello all. Last week when I got back from a long trip (truck driver). I found my battery to be completely dead on my fz. So I decided to try jumping it, which would get it to start, but I had no gauges and it would die as soon as I unplugged the cables. So I ordered a new battery. Now with the new battery the bike starts and runs perfectly but I still have no gauges. No tach, no Odometer, nothing that comes up on the lcd display. Odd thing is, the back light still works. Any ideas?

Teslank

check all the fuses

when a battery is completely drained or dead, it have a lower than 5v on it, then you boost it to start the engine, but the battery still eats all the current, causing your voltage to be still under 10v...

or like i said a fuse is blowed

moto873

Checked all the fuses. I left for another trip. I'm leaving the battery un plugged while I'm gone (2 weeks). We will see what happens when I get back.

Ps. I doubt anything will change, but it's worth a shot. I'll dig into it more when I have time.

npeifer2308

This is probably a long shot but when I use to store my fourwheeler in my shed, I had a similar problem with the dash not working properly and it turned out to be rats/mice chewed threw a wire. It took me a while to notice it and troubleshoot it down to this. Like I said, its probably a long shot that that is actually the cause of your problem but it'd be worth checking your wiring.

moto873

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to check all the wiring when I get time. If I don't find anything wrong I will just have to bite the bullet and buy a new gauge set.

tout1jn

Anybody ever make any headway with this issue? I had it happen intermittently at startup last season, but brushed it off as it always came back on. This year I'm not having the same luck. Lights are on (backlight, neutral, turn signals, etc) but no ones home (no speedo, tach, trip, etc).

tout1jn

*Update*

Just put a new battery in and still no luck. Thought maybe the old one had bad voltage due to age. Everything worked well when put away last fall.

moto873

Put fz6r gauges on. Fixed the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk