FZ6R - Downshifted to 1st gear...loud thud

I recently rode my wife's FZ6R on a 25mph rode and downshifted to first gear to get ready to make a turn and it made a loud thud. Tonight I plan on doing an oil change. I am concerned as I just bought this bike used from a dealership that supposedly does fluid changes before selling and a 25 point inspection (which deals in used sport bikes almost exclusively - simplysportbikes.com). The other thing that concerns me is when I'm not riding and somebody else is, I can hear the chain fairly loud.

I will do an oil change tonight and plan on using Shell Rotella T6 along with cleaning and lubing the chain, but anything to watch out for would be greatly appreciated as my wife is just getting back into riding after a nasty accident and doesn't have a lot of confidence yet.

Thanks

JSP

Administrator
The FZ6R has a very loud chain. (I had one). Just make sure proper slack and lubed. But they are indeed very noisy, especially when next to a wall or car/something to bounce the sound back at you.

First to second and second to first (on most bikes) can be a bit clunky as you have to pass across N to get from one or the other. Pretty common.

The 6R is a damn near bullet proof bike. Lots of guys have 30k and some over 50k on them on the 6R site. No common known issues really. Great bikes.

Rotaryknight

Check the chain slack, it can make loud noises by slapping against the guard. My friends FZ6R was noisy after 800 miles, tightened up the chain a little bit and the noise decreased a lot. As for the clunk, I find that Yamaha bikes clunks lounder than any other bikes. My old Gsxr600 and my friends Gsxr1000 is quieter than the R6, R1 and the FZ8.

Marthy

The exhaust is so quiet that all those noise get accentuate. 42K on mine and still going strong. Oil change might smooth things out but I think this is related to have such a short 1st gear. Everything is fine... she won't see the end of the 6R.

I was driving it to a parking lot for her to get some practice on it and downshifting to first gear I thought good God what did I blow on this engine (she was right behind me and heard it as well). I ride it much harder probably than most people who use this bike everyday...it really is hard to step down on a less powerful engine. I find myself getting much closer to redline than I ever would on my FZ8 (ride FZ8 about 5-6 days a week and 1 on the FZ6R to keep it moving while wife is regaining confidence).