Future FZ8 rider in Cincy, Ohio

Lilred06

Hey guys, let me start by saying I am pretty new to bikes so I understand I have a lot to learn. I daily a 2006 Cobalt SS/SC. Also a student at Northern Kentucky University and full time detailer at a car wash. I will most likely just be on here to lurk and meet other rides. Anyways, I have had my eyes on this 2011 Yamaha FZ8 with 0.0 miles. I talked them down to $6,040 for it ($6,700 OTD) thinking it is a decent deal, especially as a brand new bike and the one I want specifically. It is gloss black with gold colored forks. Should I keep my eyes set on this bike or move on to a better deal? I don't know my bikes like I do my cars so I am just asking for honest help! Hopefully there are some riders near the Cincinnati area as well!

thach1130

Have it checked thoroughly. A bike sitting aroung for 4+ years without being moved I would be weary about it. Fuel break down.

Lilred06

Have it checked thoroughly. A bike sitting aroung for 4+ years without being moved I would be weary about it. Fuel break down.

I know the bike has never had a single drop of gas in the tank and the battery acid is still separate from the battery. What is fuel break down exactly?

Blackfin

I know the bike has never had a single drop of gas in the tank and the battery acid is still separate from the battery. What is fuel break down exactly?

Gasoline is made up of a large number of different compounds, many of which readily vaporize, even just sitting in the tank. (This is why cars, and many bikes now in certain areas, have evaporative emissions systems -- they capture these emissions for later consumption.) When stored for long periods, a good portion of these volatile compounds vaporizes away, leaving the remaining liquid less and less volatile, less and less able to combust and more and more concentrated with gummy varnishes. Old, stale gas often has a brown appearance because it has changed chemically in this way.

So basically, stale gas leaves varnishes on surfaces and parts of the fuel system requiring extensive cleaning (esp. small orifices which can become plugged with the residue) and it can also become essentially non-flammable over time.

Keach

I paid 6200 (about 6700) OTD in sept of 2013 for a 2011 fz8 with 300 miles on it. At the time I thought it was a pretty good deal. Since then I think the 9 has driven down the prices a bit more, that and the fact they are discontinued in the US. I'd try to talk them down a couple hundred on the OTD price. But that doesn't sound like a bad price by any means. Good luck with the purchase. I haven't regretted mine at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FZ8Gamble

Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. You might want to also check for private sales. A bike with around 5000km (3125 miles) is only about 1 year worth of riding for your average guy. Although I am sure many guys can claim 8-12,000 miles in a year. I just picked up my bike with around 3000 miles on it for $5900. The guy told me his wife wouldn't let him keep two bikes and he just bought a Harley. Anyways my bike is like mint (2012 FZ8) so if you average it out that's only 1000 miles a year, pretty decent if you ask me. One thing you might want to ask the dealership is if the bike has been on stands. A bike sitting for that long can get flat spots and tires on a bike can run you some serious $$ if you get a good set. Anyways just my two cents.

Umyaya

I wouldn't buy it. You can find 13 models for the same pricr and they have adjustable suspension... or you could get a brand new fz07 for a little more.

Umyaya

Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. You might want to also check for private sales. A bike with around 5000km (3125 miles) is only about 1 year worth of riding for your average guy. Although I am sure many guys can claim 8-12,000 miles in a year. I just picked up my bike with around 3000 miles on it for $5900. The guy told me his wife wouldn't let him keep two bikes and he just bought a Harley. Anyways my bike is like mint (2012 FZ8) so if you average it out that's only 1000 miles a year, pretty decent if you ask me. One thing you might want to ask the dealership is if the bike has been on stands. A bike sitting for that long can get flat spots and tires on a bike can run you some serious $$ if you get a good set. Anyways just my two cents.

You probably would want flatspots on the oem tires so you had to change them. The tires that come stock are horrible.

Umyaya

Hey guys, let me start by saying I am pretty new to bikes so I understand I have a lot to learn. I daily a 2006 Cobalt SS/SC. Also a student at Northern Kentucky University and full time detailer at a car wash. I will most likely just be on here to lurk and meet other rides. Anyways, I have had my eyes on this 2011 Yamaha FZ8 with 0.0 miles. I talked them down to $6,040 for it ($6,700 OTD) thinking it is a decent deal, especially as a brand new bike and the one I want specifically. It is gloss black with gold colored forks. Should I keep my eyes set on this bike or move on to a better deal? I don't know my bikes like I do my cars so I am just asking for honest help! Hopefully there are some riders near the Cincinnati area as well!

I'd sell you mine for 6700 in a heartbeat. And look at all the mods I've done to mine!

Lilred06

Hey guys, thanks for all the posts! I know the bike has been on a GYTR(?) stand so the tires should be good. I also herd the tires aren't all that great, but as a fairly new rider I don't plan on dragging knees anytime soon. You guys also seem like the price is pretty solid so I think I found my beauty! The other bike I was looking at is a matte grey 2013 FZ8 but honestly, it was $300 more OTD and insurance quotes were actually much higher. As for the gas rotting my bike, I should be fine since the gas tank has never been opened. These posts just made me that much more excited!!! Can't wait to be apart of the forum!

Last edited:

07cobaltLScoupe

as you can see by my user name i've been in the cobalt world as well although it is just my work vehicle now...

but i have a '12 FZ8 that i bought new in Feb '13. currently have about 5500 miles on it and i'm about to swap out stock tires to pilot power 3's once i break it out of the basement. my advice is to first invest in a good set of frame sliders or cage for protection

Umyaya

Hey guys, thanks for all the posts! I know the bike has been on a GYTR(?) stand so the tires should be good. I also herd the tires aren't all that great, but as a fairly new rider I don't plan on dragging knees anytime soon. You guys also seem like the price is pretty solid so I think I found my beauty! The other bike I was looking at is a matte grey 2013 FZ8 but honestly, it was $300 more OTD and insurance quotes were actually much higher. As for the gas rotting my bike, I should be fine since the gas tank has never been opened. These posts just made me that much more excited!!! Can't wait to be apart of the forum!

Ah get the 2013. Better suspension even though it still needs upgrading.. Dragging knee on the FZ8 is hard. Pegs on the other hand is quite easy since the rear sets sit so low. Find a new insurance company! FZ8 insurance is cheap.

Last edited:

bauers007

Ah get the 2013. Better suspension even though it still needs upgrading.. Dragging knee on the FZ8 is hard. Pegs on the other hand is quite easy since the rear sets sit so low. Find a new insurance company! FZ8 insurance is cheap.

I have to agree here. I got my new '13 for $6200 OTD last April from a dealer in Ohio. There are a lot of deals on the '13 and insurance is less than $400 annually for really good coverage. Granted, it'll be more for a single college student, but shouldn't be terrible.

Last edited:

esapper95

Im in Akron and i got my 13 Fz8 for like 6300 OTD. (I think sticker was 5800). That was brand new, 0.0 miles. I actually went to look at it the first time and they couldn't show it to me because it was in a crate. Insurance for me is a little expensive, but you have to expect that for a 19 year old male with an 800cc bike with full coverage. If i were you, id get the 13, its newer, better suspension, and IMO the paint scheme alone is worth the $300 more! Best of luck, maybe ill see you on the streets of Ohio soon!!