Fuel mapping for mods

Lolb92

Trying to see if I can avoid paying the custom dyno fee. I recently put a K&N air filter and a Vance and Hines CSone blackout slip on exhaust on my 2011 fz8, and had a good deal of popping whenever I let off the throttle. Naturally, I looked into a fuel controller, and bought one. Problem is that dynojet's website doesn't have a specific map for that setup. Just curious if anyone is running something the same/similar setup, and has had success with one of the pre-made maps on the dynojet website.

Bagman

The popping is - I believe - from the AIS system letting air into the exhaust to detonate unburnt fuel for cleaner emissions. Ideally, don't waste time on the controller and just send off your ECU to be flashed. Still won't address the 'decel pop', but in terms of added performance benefits that's where it's at (rather than the fuel controller).

Lolb92

The popping is - I believe - from the AIS system letting air into the exhaust to detonate unburnt fuel for cleaner emissions. Ideally, don't waste time on the controller and just send off your ECU to be flashed. Still won't address the 'decel pop', but in terms of added performance benefits that's where it's at (rather than the fuel controller).

Yeah, since posting, I dug around on the forum a bit. Found people mentioning the AIS as a culprit, so I blocked it iff, and she sounds much better now. I already bought the controller, and my local shop says 300 for a custom tune, which doesn't seem too bad.

Bagman

If you're able to install the controller yourself, $300 is basically the cost of the ECU tune - so just keep going down the path your going. Get the custom tune.

Lolb92

Yeah, that's the route I was probably gonna go. I already installed the controller, and tried one of the maps that was on the dynojet site. Bike ran well, but I also did the air box mod, so I think I've bought myself into a custom tune, if I want to get the most out of it.

AdhieK

Yeah, that's the route I was probably gonna go. I already installed the controller, and tried one of the maps that was on the dynojet site. Bike ran well, but I also did the air box mod, so I think I've bought myself into a custom tune, if I want to get the most out of it.

How did the bike run after the tune?

Lolb92

How did the bike run after the tune?

So, super fun(not) update with that. Finally got around to getting the tune done, and after about 2 hours of riding, my oil cap decided to shear the threads and blow out. I doubt these two things are related though. Kind of wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them, and/or may know the reason. I THINK I may have been a dummy, and added too much oil during the last change, causing excessive pressure in the crankcase.