Fuel Economy Issues 2011 FZ8

Phlatsphere

Howdy everyone.

This December I picked up a used 2011 FZ8 with 7800 miles on the clock. Everything on the bike is stock as far as engine components and exhaust goes. I track all of my vehicles fuel mileages religiously using Fuelly. According to Fuelly, almost all FZ8's get 41-45 average MPG across the board. Mine however, gets 30-33. One ride saw me up in the 40's, but only one. Every other fillup (17 of them,) sees me at 33.

What gives?

I would appreciate any feedback you guys might have.

I've also put 1300 miles on it this winter, bringing it up over 9k miles. Are there any checks or maintenance I need to be doing at this point?

Thanks in advance!

Keach

Having tracked my mpg a lot over the course of many different mods, I'd say the mgp is usually impacted by how you ride and how heavy you are the most. For example a lot of the average or heavier guys never saw 40 mpg. I'm only 150 and used to see 42 mpg regularly. After full exhaust and ecu flash that went down to mid-high 30s but I realized that was cause I was riding more aggressive. When I went back to easy riding I was back in low 40s.

Low 30s seems low, but people 's milage really varies in other mpg threads. I'd check to see that your gearing is stock. Then check it the old fashion way with your mileage. If it is that low check the plugs and air filter.

Bike might seem stock, but you aren't the original owner so you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phlatsphere

Having tracked my mpg a lot over the course of many different mods, I'd say the mgp is usually impacted by how you ride and how heavy you are the most. For example a lot of the average or heavier guys never saw 40 mpg. I'm only 150 and used to see 42 mpg regularly. After full exhaust and ecu flash that went down to mid-high 30s but I realized that was cause I was riding more aggressive. When I went back to easy riding I was back in low 40s.

Low 30s seems low, but people 's milage really varies in other mpg threads. I'd check to see that your gearing is stock. Then check it the old fashion way with your mileage. If it is that low check the plugs and air filter.

Bike might seem stock, but you aren't the original owner so you never know.

... I hadn't even considered my weight... I am a bigger guy at 270. It just skipped my mind altogether.

Keach

... I hadn't even considered my weight... I am a bigger guy at 270. It just skipped my mind altogether.

Yeah I'm thinking that probably has a lot to do with it. That was a major thing a lot of the other guys in the 30's were reporting if I recall. Good thing is bike is probably fine so ride it and be happy!

Ferret

I have just changed the plugs on mine as it was very thirsty now its average is 42 .5 mpg with mixed riding .

Bagman

270lbs!!! You fat bas* .... lol.... Aren't you then like 1/2 the bike's weight? :p I am a svelte 150lbs and one would have to expect fuel mileage would vary between us. Have you checked your tire pressure to accommodate your weight?

Ferret

I have put another 2 tanks of fuel through and have averaged 46 mpg . I am 210 lbs . Riding was mixed but not slow .

Joseps

Keep in mind also that low temperatures in short rides affects to fuel economy badly, specially with some oil viscosities (the higher, specially the W one, the worst for that), also tyre pressure helps, going below recommended creates a higher footprint and rises a bit fuel consumption.

As everybody pointed change that spark plugs, and go also for air filter if hasn't be changed or any possible service forgotten, those two plus oil are the key pillars in the mpg thing, but beside that and even with that low mileages the bike has 5 years now so could have some other works pending.

Apart from the mechanical thing, some other stuff could affect: a top case if you carry one affects mpg, and loose winter gear that catches wind makes thing works, specially if you are a tall guy. Over certain speeds most of the gas goes fighting wind, so anything there counts.

In my S model '12 I move around 40mpg in mixed riding, 40-42 road, 45 cruising, always a bit over road legal speeds. That with a 15teeth sprocket, that I think for me does nothing good in this model for mpg. In my old FZ6 it improved my gas mileage, just because my -wrong- way of riding that one in low rpms, but the FZ8 has plenty of torque down there for my weight (180lbs).

May be if you use a lot low rpm range is happening a bit that happened to me with that little 600. If that could be the case you can try to ride using a shorter gear for a tank to see if that helps, and if it does then go to 15 teeth.

Hope grammar and spell are not to messy, my English is a work in progress

Last edited:

danIstrate

Hello,

I am currently facing the same kind of issue with my 2010 FZ8 Fazer.

Before anyone says anything, Valve Clearance, Sparkplugs & Air filter have been done in April.

I used to get like 40-42 MPG driving in town which has the heavies traffic in Europe.

But now, on the last fill up, I averaged 30 MPG. Which is a drastic decrease.

I took the sparkplugs out and checked them, the 0.7 gauge could barely slip between the electrodes.

The air filter was a little dirty but nothing too scary.

The bike's running alright but sometimes smells like gas randomly ( 1 time I smelled it standing next to it while it was cold, which I never had before. It constantly smells like gas randomly when I'm riding it)

I took the gas tank off but I wasn't able to find any wet spots.

I attached pictures of the sparkplugs and the air filter, if it helps.
The spark plugs are numbered by standing in front of the motorcycle, looking at it.

Any suggestions ? The mechanic I took it to do the valve clearance suggested maybe a vaccuum line. But I don't know where to start.

Thank you in advance !

Attachments

• 1st sparkplug carbon build up.jpg
    1st sparkplug carbon build up.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1st sparkplug.jpg
    1st sparkplug.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 0
  • 2nd sparkplug.jpg
    2nd sparkplug.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3rd sparkplug.jpg