Foot Cornering Safety Tip

FZER

Avid Rider
I've taken the beginner MSF course twice, once to get my license easier, plus I hadn't riden on the streets yet, and the second time because I could get paid during work hours to take it. A couple years later I took the experienced class. The classes are good and talking with other riders you really learn a lot of useful information. So somewhere in all of our chatting on here I heard a very good safety tip and thought I'd share.

The basics of cornering as I see it are brake and downshift in relation to the corner prior to enter. Lean it over get back into the gas and exit. That's a very simple run down, but I've learn something very important both from someone mentioning it on here, but also the hardway on a couple occasions. After braking and downshifting get your toes back up on those pegs. If you have feet like mine they hang a whole lot lower than the pegs. The possible injuries could be countless. I'm doing my damness to start doing this everytime I finish shifting. On a cruiser this isn't a problem, because you have floor boards, but go hard into a corner and your foot hits the pavement and you'll get the biggest cup of coffee you've ever had.

My basic rule is always keep your toes on the pegs unless it's a very very slow speed corner or going over a questionable surface. You put in a ton of leverage with your feet input on the pegs and taking that away is never a good thing.

Mrpacis

Lol the hard way too. Leaned then my foot got caught. I was like fudgesicles. So I figure when I lean maybe I should put my toes on the peg rather than the middle of my foot. Happened to me yesterday too. Wasn't paying attention and I was entering an on ramp sharp turn. Whamm. Thank goodness I was wearing boots lol.

n00b

Avid Rider
I've taken the beginner MSF course twice, once to get my license easier, plus I hadn't riden on the streets yet, and the second time because I could get paid during work hours to take it. A couple years later I took the experienced class. The classes are good and talking with other riders you really learn a lot of useful information. So somewhere in all of our chatting on here I heard a very good safety tip and thought I'd share.

The basics of cornering as I see it are brake and downshift in relation to the corner prior to enter. Lean it over get back into the gas and exit. That's a very simple run down, but I've learn something very important both from someone mentioning it on here, but also the hardway on a couple occasions. After braking and downshifting get your toes back up on those pegs. If you have feet like mine they hang a whole lot lower than the pegs. The possible injuries could be countless. I'm doing my damness to start doing this everytime I finish shifting. On a cruiser this isn't a problem, because you have floor boards, but go hard into a corner and your foot hits the pavement and you'll get the biggest cup of coffee you've ever had.
new rider here, so I haven't leaned the bike that far, but will definitely pay attention to that.