First Track Day Mods

waypoint

mod squad
i got my first track day coming up on the 23rd of march and i want my 8 to be track-ready.

so last week i put on a TBR M2 Black slip on and modded the air box. this weekend, while my ecu is out being flashed (will give a full report on that when i get it back) i'll be removing the ais with graves block-off plates. i've also got new S20s to have mounted. and, as much as I like the looks of my Rizoma aluminum grips, i'm swapping them for ProGrip supper stickies.

i'm looking forward to working on her this weekend. hopefully, when i'm done, it will be like i sent her to boot camp for a few months :chicken:

C

Camo

Stiffen up the rear, make sure you have a good pressure gauge so you can keep an eye on your tire pressure, lube chain and eliminate excess slack and get out on those S20's...be careful, the hard on you'll get from the grip and feel of those hoops could be dangerous lol.

First ever track day or first on your 8?
What track you off to, got a link?

D

Deleted member 438

Camo has got it. Start with 30 psi front and rear for tire pressure. Relax, have fun, and be safe out there.

waypoint

mod squad
First ever track day or first on your 8?
What track you off to, got a link?

Buttonwillow Buttonwillow Raceway Park | Southern California’s premier race track and testing facility

For all intents and purposes, it's my first track day AND the first with my 8.

I grew up racing motocross on the NMA 80cc tour with Ward, Omara, Myerscough, Zart and those guys but my folks ran into financial troubles so I finally had to give it up. Factory's didn't give the kind of support they do today to young kids.

Durring those years I did get to race an Italjet 50 and Yamaha TA125 at Sears Point (now Infineon) when I was 14. Thought it was fun but was really into motocross at that time so I didn't do it anymore.

After I had to quit I didn't ride again until I got an RD400 when I was in my 20s, but never tracked it. It got stolen not too long after I got it and I stopped riding again until I was about 35. I started track riding motocross again for about 5 years until all my friends stopped and I had nobody to go with. That ended about 10 years ago.

But I've always loved to watch road racing... I don't miss a WSBK or MotoGP event. I've wanted to get a road bike again but, though my wife was ok with me riding in the dirt, she was hesitant to give the ok for the street. And to be honest, I didn't blame her. Then this last October I just told her, "this is what I love and I really want a street bike", and she understood. So in november I got my 8 and I feel like I'm back where I belong... On a bike. I'm rambling :eek:

C

Camo

You're gonna go bat shit crazy! It's an addiction that will be ultra hard to ignore lol.

waypoint

mod squad
Successful weekend mod sessions. I dropped the radiator and found I wanted some more room to get the ais off, so I drained the antifreeze unclipped the top hoses, snipped the cable ties holding the fan wiring to the fan houseing and that let the whole radiator sit back nicely. ais is gone and block off plates installed.

New grips don't look quite as slick as the rizomas but they are hella-sticky and soft. I like em.

While I was at it, I fully modded the airbox. I had opened it up some but now it's fully Lars-compliant ;)

And finally....... I ended up installing the Michelin Pilot Power 3s instead of the S20s. When I got to the dealership with my wheels, we found the S20 front he had was not the right size. So I talked with a few of the guys there with quite a bit of experience and they talked me into them. I got the set for $260 and they look awesome.

Now... as soon as my ECU comes in I can put her all back together, give her a go and report back to ya. Looks like that's gonna be on wednesday. More to come.

anelson24

Successful weekend mod sessions. I dropped the radiator and found I wanted some more room to get the ais off, so I drained the antifreeze unclipped the top hoses, snipped the cable ties holding the fan wiring to the fan houseing and that let the whole radiator sit back nicely. ais is gone and block off plates installed.

New grips don't look quite as slick as the rizomas but they are hella-sticky and soft. I like em.

While I was at it, I fully modded the airbox. I had opened it up some but now it's fully Lars-compliant ;)

And finally....... I ended up installing the Michelin Pilot Power 3s instead of the S20s. When I got to the dealership with my wheels, we found the S20 front he had was not the right size. So I talked with a few of the guys there with quite a bit of experience and they talked me into them. I got the set for $260 and they look awesome.

Now... as soon as my ECU comes in I can put her all back together, give her a go and report back to ya. Looks like that's gonna be on wednesday. More to come.

Just wondering what the actual price is for the track day? I live in the palmdale area so it's pretty close for me and would definitely be interested in running the 8!

waypoint

mod squad
Just wondering what the actual price is for the track day? I live in the palmdale area so it's pretty close for me and would definitely be interested in running the 8!

depends on the organization running it. for the most part between $135 and $165. check out motoyard.com, letsridetrackdays.com, ti2tt.com. i'm sure there's more out there too. the hardest part is figuring out how to get your bike there. i've heard of some guys riding their bikes to the track but that's a bit far for me. you may be close enough to willow springs though. march 30th it's the big track at willow!

anelson24

depends on the organization running it. for the most part between $135 and $165. check out motoyard.com, letsridetrackdays.com, ti2tt.com. i'm sure there's more out there too. the hardest part is figuring out how to get your bike there. i've heard of some guys riding their bikes to the track but that's a bit far for me. you may be close enough to willow springs though. march 30th it's the big track at willow!

Oh dang I need to look this stuff up more lol...I can get to willow in 25mins on the bike from my house..haha ill have to check that one out..

C

calscrazy

make sure u take a tool kit to make adjustments, tape for signals and lamps, mirrors off, safety wire, full leathers, and an open mind with a willingness to learn.