Exhuast

Brocky

I'm wanting to change the exhaust on my FZ8 as the stock one is so quiet. Not after performance, just a bit more noise, so idiot Sydney drivers can hear me on the roads.

Went to MCA this after to get new helmet, asked the guy about prices for exhausts, and he said changing the pipe will make only a subtle difference in noise as it has a cat, which is what makes it quiet and need to change full exhaust to make a difference.

Guys, what are thoughts on this?

Last edited:
W

WARPTH

The cat would only make a very subtle difference. I bought my danmoto with out the baffle. I ordered the baffle very shortly after.

D

Deleted member 438

The slip on makes a world of difference, and the cat is the one that has little effect on noise.

master paper clip

That cat is strictly for emissions and really has no affect on sound, i gutted mine and i was running a straight pipe for a while and it wasnt any louder, just a little deeper rumble.

AlCab

I'm wanting to change the exhaust on my FZ8 as the stock one is so quiet. Not after performance, just a bit more noise, so idiot Sydney drivers can hear me on the roads.

I was after the same thing and put on a Danmoto CF slip on and it's definitely much louder than stock.

H

Hoover

I have 2 slip ons. My Yoshi R77 is a nice, quality sound that is subdued untill you open the taps.
My DM shorty is an obnoxious, shouty thing that vibrates the windows at idle.

Most aftermarket cans come with removeable baffles to suit your needs.

shadowman

There's lots of videos on Youtube to check out. I've order a Yoshimura R-77d for mine. (I'm getting the polished stainless version)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP-9rnRBc4I]FZ8 2011 stock pipe too a Yoshimua R77D - YouTube[/ame]

sinclap2

Lazy
The danmoto is the cheap quick option (~$130-140 AUS delivered). I've had mine (carbon GP version) on for a while now and it is a shitload louder than stock :D, the baffle is like a $7 option, from memory. The even just the noise it makes, makes it seem like you have more power. It also weighs a truckload less than the OEM one. It does have an exhaust pop and a run over that some people don't like...I am not one of them. I have noticed there is a sweet spot for a quietier exhaust noise around 3000 rpm.

"Bang for buck" the Danmoto should not disappoint. Even if you only have it on for a while as an interim slip-on, it will put a smile on your face. You should be able to off load it if you don't like it.

black8

Exhaust

Iv`e also got the danmoto jisu in black i wanted the r77 yosh but in the uk they and the akrapovic are about £500.00 which is a lot for just slip ons,and to be honest i cant fault the dm for the money sounds very deep and crisp.

F

Fazed

Went to MCA this after to get new helmet, asked the guy about prices for exhausts, and he said changing the pipe will make only a subtle difference in noise as it has a cat, which is what makes it quiet and need to change full exhaust to make a difference.

Guys, what are thoughts on this?

Sounds like the guy was trying to get you to spend more dollars that you didn't need to spend. If the cat takes out all the noise then why does Yamaha bother making a huge exhaust can in the first place??? Want to see how much noise the end can blocks out??? take it off and start the bike :)

Check out ebay, as there is a ton of exhausts on there at very decent prices. The Danmoto one seems to be popular on this forum.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GP-Style...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ba7d487a

Another bang for buck verson would be a Pipe werx one like this.

Pipe Werx Yamaha FZ8 2010- Stainless Round Exhaust Race Can, Road Legal | eBay

I had one on my last bike and loved the note and the quality construction. I like the traditional style too.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bren

From what I have been reading from dan moto owners, the carbon ones may change colour... So maybe stick with their non carbon models..

Brocky

The danmoto is the cheap quick option (~$130-140 AUS delivered). I've had mine (carbon GP version) on for a while now and it is a shitload louder than stock :D, the baffle is like a $7 option, from memory.

Really, MCA say a slip on pipe starts from $600! So wanted to make sure it was going to improve it the noise and not just waste the money. Might just do what you suggest buy it and try it out. Do you have the link for where to buy it from?

Brocky

Sounds like the guy was trying to get you to spend more dollars that you didn't need to spend. If the cat takes out all the noise then why does Yamaha bother making a huge exhaust can in the first place??? Want to see how much noise the end can blocks out??? take it off and start the bike :)

Check out ebay, as there is a ton of exhausts on there at very decent prices. The Danmoto one seems to be popular on this forum.

GP Style Carbon Exhaust Yamaha FZ8 FZ 8 Fazer EX374 | eBay

Another bang for buck verson would be a Pipe werx one like this.

Pipe Werx Yamaha FZ8 2010- Stainless Round Exhaust Race Can, Road Legal | eBay

I had one on my last bike and loved the note and the quality construction. I like the traditional style too.

Yeah well I wasn't up for spending $1400+ on a full system just to get a louder exhaust.

Thanks for all links - will be checking them out.

Any issues with warranty when changing pipes?

C

Camo

That exact Ixil was 100 bux cheaper when I bought mine. They had them on sale for an fz1 and I messages them asking about one for our bike, guys were happy to offload them at sale price :)
Find what you like and keep your eyes out for sales or guys on the forum selling one off.

W

WARPTH

Hey Sinclap. Did the insurance company replace your danmoto?
If they did. Do you still have the damaged one?