ETHANOL BAD

MotoZen

The ethanol is horrible, especially on older vehicles. I use chevron techron in my bikes as a stabilizer.

Check this site out for some interesting info: http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

I also try to use higher quality gas in my vehicles (i.e. usually Sunoco). I noticed the cheaper gas greatly effected the performance in my old Honda. I can even tell the difference in my car if I use more than one fill up in the tank.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

RD GUY

I know in Canada shell super contains no ethanol,also Yamaha makes a product called ring free plus fuel additive for this problem, I always carry a small bottle of this when out riding incase there isn't a shell station around when I need a top up.

9 Lives

This is especially important when storing the bike over the winter. My advise for anyone living in Canada is to run the last couple of tanks with shell premium before you store it for the winter. I use it year round also.

JDZIII

shell?

Man the Shell here contians 10% ethanol. Lol Shell in US has been drinking the coolade. Lol

MotoZen

I also read somewhere, it may have been the link that I posted, that the ethanol often gets added at the gas stations. So the percentage of ethanol varies quite a bit depending on how hung over the guy doing it was.

thach1130

pretty sure ethanol is blended at the refinery along with other additive dependent on the specification by the brand.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Here in Austin (and I'm told its the same US-wide), the blending is done at the fuel depot. My source is a former operator at the Austin TX fuel depot.

At the fuel depot, the fuel from the pipeline is blended with additives including alcohol.

The real fustercluck? As long as the overall averages are correct, it doesn't matter how well mixed it is. It's entirely possible to get nearly a gallon of e85 followed by a gallon of e0... out of the same damn pump.

Because of our smaller tank size, we're more susceptible to poor mixing than a truck with a 25 gallon tank.

Perron

This is especially important when storing the bike over the winter. My advise for anyone living in Canada is to run the last couple of tanks with shell premium before you store it for the winter. I use it year round also.

Also, using stabilizer is crucial imo

MotoZen

Im lucky to have pure gas pumps with in 5 mins of me, 89 through 93 its awesome

I've stopped looking for them because I thought they didn't exist anymore. Are these pumps anywhere near Reading, PA?

MotoZen

So what should I carry w/ me as far as a stabilizer goes? What do you recommend for every fill up?

You can use a bit of the Chevron Techron with every fill up, but it doesn't come in a very convenient container for travel.

97audia4

I've stopped looking for them because I thought they didn't exist anymore. Are these pumps anywhere near Reading, PA?

I wouldnt say near reading, its abou 25 mins away, right in Ephrata by my house. I have over 100 gallons of 93 pure stocked up right now because I know it will be coming to and end sooner than later

pigdog

has anyone had mechanical failures related to ethanol? in 5 years my 72 chevelle & 71 f100 have hardly been driven, start & run fine without stabilizers or additives. im using 91 octane but run 89 in the bike. 10% ethanol in my neck of the woods is normal. 15% is a different story. there's a race track 12mi from me that sells gas with no ethanol but its pricey.

9 Lives

has anyone had mechanical failures related to ethanol? in 5 years my 72 chevelle & 71 f100 have hardly been driven, start & run fine without stabilizers or additives. im using 91 octane but run 89 in the bike. 10% ethanol in my neck of the woods is normal. 15% is a different story. there's a race track 12mi from me that sells gas with no ethanol but its pricey.

I have had problems with fuel lines in older sleds that have pretty much disintegrated with which I assume was caused by ethanol, never had a problem before ethanol. I have never heard of problems with this bike though, I think all newer vehicles use different fuel lines, seals ect that the ethanol won't harm. There has been cases of phase separation in ethanol fuel when stored for long period, but I think they have fixed this problem with additives in the fuel we have now.

Last edited:

JDZIII

You don't need to go to a race track. Just look online for the stations that sell ethanol free or buy an additve like the ones mentioned in this thread.