Engine problem

Shleeve

Hey all, so I just got done tearing out my AIS and installing smog block off plates as well as a K&N air filter. I did everything right and didn't run into any problems, but I put it back together and before installing Mano's map I tried starting it up and it started but sounds very weird and the check engine light is on. I then pushed Mano's map to my PCV and it does the same thing. The engine runs at a very low RPM and the headlight flickers and if I give it gas it bogs or dies.
WHAT GIVES??

Shleeve

I may have had an epiphany while driving home just now.
I'll try in the morning. Gonna take another 2 hours to get that damn airbox off with my tiny allen wrench...

Shleeve

After a lot of wasted time and cursing I finally figured out that the 33 on my speedo was an error code,so I looked it up, and lo and behold I looked behind my radiator and my cylinder 1 ignition cable was unplugged :p but just so this post isn't pointless, here's all the error codes!
11 - No normal signals are received from the cylinder identification sensor when the engine is started or while the vehicle is being driven.

12 - No normal signals are received from the cranshaft position sensor.

13 - Intake air pressure sensor: open or short circuit detected.

14 - Intake air pressure sensor: hose system malfunction (clogged or detached hose.)

15 - Throttle position sensor (for throttle valves): open or short circuit detected. Throttle position sensor (for throttle valves) coupler connection is loose.

17 - EXUP servo motor circuit: open or short circuit detected or loose connection.

18 - EXUP servo motor is stuck.

19 - Open circuit is detected in the input lead from the sidestand switch to the ECU.

20 - When the main switch is turned to "ON", the atmospheric pressure sensor voltage and intake air pressure sensor voltage differ greatly.

21 - Coolant temperature sensor: open or short circuit detected.

22 - Air temperature sensor: open or short circuit detected.

23 - Atmospheric pressure sensor: open or short circuit detected.

24 - No normal signal is received from the o2 sensor.

30 - Latch up detected. No normal signal is received from teh lean angle sensor.

33 - Open circuit detected in the primary lead of the cylinder #1 ignition coil.

34 - Open circuit detected in the primary lead of the cylinder #2 ignition coil.

35 - Open circuit detected in the primary lead of the cylinder #3 ignition coil.

36 - Open circuit detected in the primary lead of the cylinder #4 ignition coil.

39 - Open ciruit detected in a primary injector.

40 - Open circuit detected in a secondary injector.

41 - Lean angle sensor: open or short circuit detected.

42 - No normal signals are received from the speed sensor. - Neutral switch: open or short circuit detected.

43 - Power supply to the injectors and the fuel pump is not normal.

44 - An error is detected while reading or writing on EE-PROM (CO adjustment value).

46 - Power supply is not normal.

50 - Faulty ECU memory. (When this malfunction is detected in teh ECU, the fault code number might not appear on the meter.)

59 - Throttle position sensor (for throttle cable pulley): open or short circuit detected. Throttle position sensor (for throttle cable pulley) coupler connection is loose.

60 - Throttle servo motor: open or short circuit detected. Defective throttle servo motor. Malfunction in ECU (servo motor driving system).

Er-1 - No signals are received from the ECU.

Er-2 - No signals are received from the ECU within the specified duration.

Er-3 - Data from teh ECU cannot be received correctly.

Er-4 - Non-registered data has been received from the meter.

Samr1985

Error code 43

Any body got an idea what might be causing error code 43 - Power supply to the injectors and the fuel pump is not normal. just popped up today :mad:

9 Lives

Error codes 17 and 18 didn`t know we had exup valves on the fz/fazer 8

I think he took the faults codes from the R6, the FZ8 is pretty much the same but doesn't have codes 17 or 18. The shop manual is a must IMHO if you plan on doing any work other than regular maintenance on your bike. All the applicable fault codes and self diagnostic codes are in the manual.

Last edited:

9 Lives

Any body got an idea what might be causing error code 43 - Power supply to the injectors and the fuel pump is not normal. just popped up today :mad:

Low battery voltage

Main relay malfunction

Wire connector at the ECU loose/damaged

Wiring between the ECU, Relay or fuel injection system

You can check the voltage and relay function buy going to self diagnostic codes d:09 for the voltage and d:50 for the relay.

That's the readers digest version, the manual explains it in detail.

bleeek

hi I got the same error code on my fz8!!!
Whenever I turn the key to ignition, the speedometer will do its normal thing and you can hear the fuel pump priming (I assume this is what's happening. The high pitch sound). But the priming never stops and the error code will pop up in the speedometer.. On normal bikes, the fuel priming sound will stop after a while..

However, I can still start the bike just fine and ride off without feeling any different just that the check engine light is on.

Does yours do the same thing?

I have learnt to deal with it by starting her up before that rpm needle complete its start-up ritual.. By doing this, the check engine lights will not light up at all..

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

9 Lives

hi I got the same error code on my fz8!!!
Whenever I turn the key to ignition, the speedometer will do its normal thing and you can hear the fuel pump priming (I assume this is what's happening. The high pitch sound). But the priming never stops and the error code will pop up in the speedometer.. On normal bikes, the fuel priming sound will stop after a while..

However, I can still start the bike just fine and ride off without feeling any different just that the check engine light is on.

Does yours do the same thing?

I have learnt to deal with it by starting her up before that rpm needle complete its start-up ritual.. By doing this, the check engine lights will not light up at all..

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

It sounds like you have a problem with your relay, self diagnostic code d:50 will check your fuel pump relay.

daz81

Mine was doing this exact same thing and like you said just lived with it, but now it has stopped altogether, wont start, I know it could be loads of thing but has anyone had this the pump dose not prime at all dose nothing it just stopped. don't really want to get the garage to fix it at £50ph have read the two codes that i have witch are code 43 and 48 but Im at a loss as to what it can be as there is nothing at all have cleaned all the connections. pulling my hair out please help the sun has came out.

I Have cleaned all the electrical connections today every one I can find I have cleaned front to back ECU every one I can find still the same any help would be great thank you

Last edited:

spudrees

I had this problem. The red and blue wires on the multi functional relay box get corroded and start playing about sending false signals to the ecu. The fuel pump would work sporadically and it ended up sending a spike to the ecu and killing it off. It also fried the immobiliser (which I know u guys in America don't have)! so we had to buy a new ecu and immobiliser, strip out the red and blue wires which were corroded and all was fine after that.
After speaking to my mate who works at Yamaha uk, he confirmed that it's a common fault on this bike but Yamaha won't acknowledge it so no recalls...!

Joseps

Hi. Sorry about rising this topic ages late, but I hope this might help people looking for a fix for the issue.

I had this same problem two years ago. That line in the ECU died due to contacts corrosion in the relay's connector, leading to a permanent-on fuel pump that triggered voltage related errors and an engine warning light. My immobilizer had no problems so the bike was running fine with that permanent-on fuel pump and the dashboard light on.

In case someone might have the same issue:

- If that line remains ON continuously the system works, but you must start the engine in the first 5 seconds after putting the key in "on" position to avoid the warning light and voltage error. If you clean errors and do that you can use the bike long time without issues (I did that and once you get used to it is automatic, no warning light for months). If you stall have to remove the key or -better- click the red button fast.

- If the line is dead you need to bypass that cable in the multi-relay and ground it. It might be a positive, though. If you have problems doing it message me and I'll research, as has passed long time and I don't remember.

My "final solution" to avoid getting a new ECU was to develop a tiny electronic board faking the ECU signals. It primes the pump for 5 seconds, stops, and works again when you push the start button and while the engine is ON. I integrated that board in the multi-relay and after two years is sitll rock solid. If I stall the engine it triggers the warning light though, as I got my "the engine is on" signal from the headlights, I need to find a better "engine on" source signal.

If you have the issue and are slightly proficient with protoboards and electronics message me and I'll try to find the info and diagrams and put together a DIY manual. I was living abroad when this happened, changed computer a couple of times, and was working some parts with pencil and paper, so I'm to lazy to redo it if no one needs it ;)

These are pics of that board (bords, several try and error) and how I installed it:

It's just a timer and a couple of diodes. Nothing fancy