Engine Breaking!

Ryandi2

granted I have only been riding for a few months now, but I tend to engine brake and drag the rear brake a bit when stopping at light,signs ect.

i read an article in a car magazine a few days back about this very subject and basically said that if used in Moderation (not locking up rear tire(s).) its harmless and a effective tool for handling.

FZ8N

There are signs in some toronto municipalities clearing stating "Avoid Engine Braking If possible". What's the deal here?

Hoover mentioned trucks and engine braking, I think the sign is for trucks to keep noise down in otherwise quiet(ish) areas; I'm sure I've seen similar signs around here (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia) as well. Some WA guidelines:
The use of engine compression brakes in urban areas can cause noise disturbance to residents in particular areas and was identified as a major community concern in the 2001 Road Train Summits.

Back to OP's issues - I remember from my 4x4 offroad days it was vital to never ever coast (clutch disengaged) or be in neutral when going downhill, sure fire way to lose control when you engage the clutch and you just keep on sliding down a muddy or gravelly track...

(My 1st post here :D

Picking up the new beasty on Thursday!)

W

WARPTH

if your at high revs and than roll of the throttle, internally its no different to being on WOT, the rings are spread to the cylinder walls where your oil rings are doing their job. coasting with the clutch in is a serious no no! that old guy needed a smack with a newspaper across the nose!

Not only is riding in neutral bad for bike control, it's bad for the transmission. FZ8 manual specifically states that and it's particularly bad if the bike is off.

9 Lives

Not only is riding in neutral bad for bike control, it's bad for the transmission. FZ8 manual specifically states that and it's particularly bad if the bike is off.

The transmission on this bike is pressure fed by the engine oil pump, as long as the engine is running the transmission is being lubed. Riding in neutral will not harm the transmission as long as the engine is running.

Not saying that riding in neutral is good or not, just saying it won't harm the tranny.