Electrical Fault.........kind of

H

Hoover

Well a quick update, bike was ok till a muppet in the bike club decided it would be a good idea to knock my bike over in the carpark tonight......Bars bent, barend faceing at a jaunty angle, rear footrest scuffed, rear brake bent, mirror snapped off and to finish it off carbon Akrapovic end can seriously scuffed up. may be more problems will see tomorow when I take it back to Yam to get it all sorted......the muppet who knocked it over was very apologetic and is paying for it all to be fixed.......I was equally civil about it LOL

Bad Karma pal.

bakern

hi i also got a problem to my fz8, its 8 mnd old and one morning it wouldt start, it flashes hi on temp, and it was mars here in norway so it isnt that warm here :) i tried and tried no luck. so after i disconected my batt and plugged it on again it was ok again.
and now saturday easter i got up early because it was nice weather and wanted too take a long tripp, put on all my driving clothes, jump on bike turn key,high temp flash, and nearly any power left on my batt, it sucks.
so had to charge batt and now everything is ok again.
went to dealer at first time it ocurred,and he had no good exsplanation,maby something had hung up so we didnt do anything about it, but now it taken away a good driving day and weather forecast is rain for 10 days here so i am realy angry hehe. i wil be at dealer when it opens toomorow morning.

hope u understand my spelling,
drive safe and careful

bakern

went too the dealer and they said it was because the batt wasnt full charged
and it was fine for a while but now it is dead again, no power on the battery.
got too push it to start.
when i ride now the neutral lamp lights all the time.
drive a long time toocharge the batt and when i stopped, and tryed too start it again,the starter almoust kick inn when the kill switch is of.
i also se rust water came out where the wires goes in the left side hadlebar switch.
anyone else got the same problem???

bakern

went out now i the dark to see if i could se why it drain my battery, and it was a weak light in the rpm clock (sorry dont know the name) and if i turn on the killswitch to run the light came on in the display also. so i tryed to pull out fuses and it got dark when i pulled out fuse from the starter rele

oldwheels

Cheers, I will add they cleaned the bike as well and it looks like it's just come of the showroom floor. I wasn't the happiest bunny in the field this weekend getting ribed by my fellow club mates over my shiney reliable Yamaha, so much so thoughts strayed to what to replace it with.......a quick hour blast on the FZ8 later and all bad thoughts have gone. In reality Yam picked the bike up and the mechanic had it up and runing after 2 days, tuned it and polished it.......all under warranty. Can't complain about the backup service.

So to end on a high note, if your FZ8 is doing something peculiar which dosn't make sense.......check the plugs for gunge or sighns of arching conectors. The main culprit seems to be the power distribution plug which is straped in down near the rear shock, it provides power for all the bikes systems and because of it's relation to the bikes computer it can generate odd electrical faults all over the place!

thanks for the info . mine is similar but has no alarm . hi is displayed , clock keeps resetting , no fuel pump priming , not starting .ill be checking that connector near the shock