ECUnleashed?

waypoint

mod squad
Aside from controls and a few minor cosmetic embellishments, my 8 is bone stock. As my mod budget isn't what I'd like it to be, I'm trying to be selective and start with what would help the bike perform better for me.

I'm only 5' 6", 135 pounds and the 8 pulls my ass along pretty well. At 50 years old I've learned to know my limits and while I like to push my envelope some, I push a lot less than I use to.

Suspension is high on my list as, to me, the stock suspension is over-sprung on the front and damping... well you all know that needs improvement.

But when thinking about my rides, the things that seem to keep coming to the top of my complaint list are 1) jumpy throttle roll-on 2) heavy engine braking that makes for jerky roll-off & 3) flat-spot in powerband around 5500 to 6500 rpms.

I jumped on my brothers 2011 CBR600rr and couldn't believe how smoothly his throttle roll-on/off was. Of course that just pissed me off and made me wanna fix that first. I know you bombers would tell me to suck it up and just get it on... the tires will take it, but I want butter ;)

I love to work on my bike, but time is a factor and a PC just doesn't sound appealing to me.

SOOOOOO.... In my search on this wonderful forum of ours, I saw a mention in an old post about ECUnleashed.com and how flashing the ECU might do some of the PC duties. I checked out the website and sent an email to them and here's what they responded with..

"Thank you for your inquiry. We have a great Tune File available for the 2012 FZ8. We work on each of the internal parameters of each ECU including, removing any factory restrictions (ignition and/or throttle), optimize fuel and ignition curves, deceleration maps, throttle maps, rev limit,and many more. This allows us to maximize horsepower while also significantly improving the ride-ability and control of the bike. Plus we are able to accommodate for modifications that have been done to the bike (ie exhaust system, intake, etc)."

I responded with a few questions like, What if I put on a new exhaust or make other mods.... will that require a re-flash and if so how much? Will the new deceleration map remove ALL the engine braking? Don't want that. What is their guarantee, if any? I'll let ya know what their reply is when I get it.

That said, it aint cheap at $450. Any opinions, experience, thoughts or even bs on whether this is a good idea or not?

Thanks in advance for expert and obnoxious opinions! :rolleyes:

B

bren

Thanks Bren. Would you say that the Juice Box smoothed out the roll-on?

yeah mate. nice and smooth. very zippy on the pick up.

I often will roll her out to 5000rpms then give it a twist- sounds like a supersport. It blows 600cc supersports away now.

B

bren

you can have 10 maps loaded onto it at anyone time too mate. And you can go back to stock in next to no time if need be.

B

bren

im currently using the Jumbo map from fazed.

Havent tried the mano map he gave me yet.

Fazed also gave me a 3rd map which is a hybrid of what he like from both the jumbo and manos maps- going to switch to that one this week and test it out.

The jumbo map is awesome tho!

F

Fazed

The Jumbo map is awesome and worked well for me in Perth. Since moving to Darwin, it hasn't worked so well which is why I came up with a Hybrid map. I'm not sure if the Humidity, temperature or fuel quality is affecting it. I think I need autotune, or it's a good excuse for it :)

Bren, I'm curious as to how that map will work for you and very interested in your feedback. I don't think it'll be as aggressive as the Jumbo one.

If you are at the end of your mods then the reflash is a nice tidy way of doing business. If your like me who likes to play around and change the bike then the PCV or Juice box might be for you. I'm a bit hesitant at being stuck with one ignition curve and you bet that ECU unleashed will program you with an aggressive ignition curve, the fuel in Oz is a bit inconsistent, especially in country area's and I would like to switch to the standard or less aggressive ignition curve for these situations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mansack

Wow, thanks for the find Doom! That seems like it's just what I need - the bike is always a bit abrupt at first roll on, no matter how lightly I turn the throttle.

Marthy

Even with the PCV I never got the bottom end (part throttle) tune perfectly. It was better but not great. Until I had a map sensor and use a pressure map base for the bottom end. Someone on the FZ1 forum suggest it to me. The PLX MAP sensor is an extra $100.00 and plug right in the PCV. That fix all my problem.

I tune it up with my Auto Tune... and will some help with the data logger (LCD-200)

(Can't upload my map to this page... trying to show the difference in fuel curve)

Mansack

What do you guys think about this?

Ivan's Performance Products

A "fuel cut eliminator" plug and play. The site says that it will work for a FZ1 - I was going to call and see if it fits the FZ8 (ya never know, even though we're pretty similar).

waypoint

mod squad
Fazed:
If you are at the end of your mods then the reflash is a nice tidy way of doing business. If your like me who likes to play around and change the bike then the PCV or Juice box might be for you. I'm a bit hesitant at being stuck with one ignition curve and you bet that ECU unleashed will program you with an aggressive ignition curve.
I'm at the BEGINNING so this makes much more sense to me than being stuck with one map.
wfdowns:
Age u talking about the small throttle delay, sometime feels like a little clunk when going from zero throttle?
Yup. I like Dr_Doom's word for it... "snatch" :eek:
Marthy:
Even with the PCV I never got the bottom end (part throttle) tune perfectly. It was better but not great. Until I had a map sensor and use a pressure map base for the bottom end. Someone on the FZ1 forum suggest it to me. The PLX MAP sensor is an extra $100.00 and plug right in the PCV. That fix all my problem.
Good to know... PLX works with Juice Box Pro?
Mansack:
What do you guys think about this?
Ivan's Performance Products
A "fuel cut eliminator" plug and play. The site says that it will work for a FZ1 - I was going to call and see if it fits the FZ8 (ya never know, even though we're pretty similar).
Called Ivan this morning and he was on the phone with another FZ8er. Was that you Mansack? Love it! If it was, please fill us in on what Ivan had to say!

Thanks for all the help. I'm just about to pull the plug on a Juice Box Pro. At half the price of the ECU flash and all the maps available, it seems like I can't go too terribly wrong.

Mansack

Ya that was me! LOL we called at the same time! Yay forum!

Just posted a new thread about what he said. The FZ1 will NOT work with our bike.

waypoint

mod squad
Juice Box Pro on it's way. Should be here by the end of the week. $215.44 delivered.
Review forthcoming.
Thanks for all the info 8ers!

D

DJK1505

As far as tunning your bike, the best bang for your buck would be a PCV with autotune, or Bazzaz with their auto tune. I dont remember if the juice box has a similar feature. Having a tuner flash your ecm is good, they know what they are doing, the get best results first shot, they build a safe good generic tune and send it to you. The above mentioned units allow you to take some time to learn the simplest parts of tunning, and you build your tune as you build your bike.

DJ

waypoint

mod squad
As far as tunning your bike, the best bang for your buck would be a PCV with autotune, or Bazzaz with their auto tune. I dont remember if the juice box has a similar feature. Having a tuner flash your ecm is good, they know what they are doing, the get best results first shot, they build a safe good generic tune and send it to you. The above mentioned units allow you to take some time to learn the simplest parts of tunning, and you build your tune as you build your bike.

DJ

Thanks DJ. I started off not wanting to do the PC but all the talk about swapping maps and being able to do just what you said, "learn and build your tune as you build your bike" kinda gave me a woody... Next thing you know, TB Juice Box Pro is on it's way to me.

It appears from other posts that the TB is damn near identical to the PC. Some went as far as saying maybe TB licensed from PC, so I hope the autotune feature, or similar, will be available.

Maps anyone?