Dunlop Q3s - Good and Bad

myklobe

So, I noticed my Dunlop Q3 rear tire wore through the center after I got home. Slightly terrifying since I was in the triple digits multiple times today (on a highway in Mexico)...

Good news: I got approximately 4k, but shy of 5k out of the rear. The front still looks pretty dang near new. Grip was exceptional until about half life, when I moved from Utah with twisties, back to Houston, Texas, and my FZ8 became a straight line commuter bike (with some weaving in and out of traffic). The center flattened out around 2k miles, but if I got low, it still gripped well enough on the sides.

When it was new, it really made my bike stick to the road, no matter which way I pointed. The thing I really liked about them when they were new, was how much it wanted to be on the sides. It seemed like the shape of the tire encouraged riding corners rather than straights. Super fun twisties / track tires.

Price: 4/5 - I bought them when they launched, so they were a tiny bit pricey at the time.
For a semi track tire, probably 4/5 or 5/5, for a commuter tire, 3/5
Grip: 5/5 all the way through the life of the tire. I never felt my grip compromised.

Just wanted to give my life and death experience with my first set of Dunlop Q3s. I'm torn because I loved how well they performed, but I know that where I live now, I need something more along the lines of a Michelin Pilot Road 4 / touring tire, at least in the rear.

20160204_171734.jpg

esapper95

Nice write up! I just got my new Q3's mounted. I was curious to what air pressure you ran on them. I only rode on them for 10-15 miles in this 40° Ohio weather but I like the feel of them so far. Definitely love to be the corners more than flat road. It's like a whole different bike. I hated the stock tires. They did last me over 5k miles and half a dozen 2nd gear burnouts though ;)