drag racing

cobra jet

does anybody out there drag race their fz8 .i took mine to the strip yeasterday and i had trouble leaving the line my bike would bog or spin.tried using diferent rpms to launch to low it would bog to high it would spin.any help would be aprieciated .buy the way it ran a best of 13.05 at 108 mph 1/4 mile time ithought these bikes were suposed to run 11.5 ????

RD GUY

I have gone to the track a few times the best way I launch is at 8000rpm I usually run low 11,s but i did do a 10.9 pass once .

Rotaryknight

I dont know much about launching on bikes, but on cars if I bog down, or if the tires start slipping, play with the clutch release.

metalmulisha

I have gone to the track a few times the best way I launch is at 8000rpm I usually run low 11,s but i did do a 10.9 pass once .

i ran today in Utah where the elevation kills me. i managed a few 12s and it was my first time on a legit track. i only have a slip on tbros m2vale a juicebox with stock maps and the airbox mod with a k&n. im totally new to launching and could use advice on all drag racing. shift points ETC

nando

Hi Cobra,

I think with everything stock, if you really push it we should be able to get 12 something.

I managed to get 12.8 over this weekend and I would say that was pushing at around 80% (I thought I was pushing it, but when I really think about it, a few more runs learning how to do it properly and I reckon I would understand it more and be able to do lower 12s by knowing how to push harder)

I managed reaction time of 0.31s which greatly helped that particular 12.8 but my 1st gear take off just wasn't good enough, middle and end is where I pinned it and able to help the 12.8 time.

Off course, the other issue is trying not to fry your standard clutch!!!

nando

RD Guy,

Unfortunately I disagree, a guy on a BMW S1000RR did 10.9 on the day. Yes the BMW can do 9.something, but the whole point is that it was ridden by a normal person who is not an expert at drag racing, he is hardly going to be doing the top spec for the bike straight away.

The point is, none of us are experts, I am assuming a normal person (not a drag race expert) who will try and get the right balance between pushing very hard but doesn't want to destroy their clutch...

To get an 11 time, on a stock FZ8, yes its just about possible but you would need to push very very hard (goodbye clutch) and have been there a number of times, alongside a perfect run and the guy being not particularly big. Next time I go, I will be trying for low 12s. For 11s it would need to be with my clutch being on its last legs and about to be replaced anyway.

Nonetheless - whatever on your times, I never thought drag racing would be sooooo much fun! 3 of us on bikes went and it was a blast. Great one off fun

RD GUY

first off I am no expert,been to the track on the 8 a few times,the key to getting a good time on these bikes is in the launch,so heres how I do , I don't do a burnout just roll up to the tree rev to 8000rpm then dump the clutch at the last yellow light, and pin it than shift at 11000rpm without using the clutch(,re:clutchless shifting)sliping the clutch to launch and using it to shift will yes take its toll on your clutch,and if you think when your clutch is almost fried you will try to get a better time you need to rethink your logic.shifting without the clutch will also give you a quicker ET,and your clutch will last longer,drag racing is hard on the clutch but done properly it will last ,that's me 2cents .