Differences/shared parts between FZ8 and Fazer8, between '10-'12 and '13+ models, etc

Fazer 8

Differences/shared parts between FZ8 and Fazer8, between '11-'12 and '13+ models, etc

I have in mind to try and make a list of the following:

• Parts which differ between the FZ8 and Fazer8 (FZ8S).
  • Parts which differ between the '10 to '12 models and the 2013+ models.
  • And (because it seems to me they should share a lot of parts), parts which are interchangeable between the FZ1 and FZ8/Fazer8.
Differences/shared parts between FZ8 and Fazer8:
  • Obviously the headlight/fairing assembly is different. Due to the differences in headlights, the wiring harness is also slightly different.
  • Gas tank?
  • Final gearing/speedo calibration?
  • Apparently ECU is the same (at least for same model years and markets)
Differences /shared parts between earlier and 2013+ models:

• Fork (2013+ fully adjustable - straight swap with earlier models?)
  • Exhaust cans are interchangeable, heat shield design changed
Parts interchangeable with the FZ1:
  • Fork?
  • Front wheel?
  • Maybe the seat?
  • Radiator guards
  • Levers

If people want to chip in with what they know, I'll take their suggestions and keep them summarized in the above post.

Last edited:

Woody146

Banned
When I went to look for replacement ecu...Fazer 8 and fz8 used the same one...10-13.. In u.s. Only difference between 11/12 & 13 is the front forks (adjustable) but still by no means "great" suspension.. Slip on is different shape only..mounting points are the same (rear passanger peg, & direct attached to header) heat sheild is only difference and if it bothers you, get one for the appropriate year exhaust you got (I've only seen this "problem" with 2 bros)

As far as u.s. Models vs. u.k. Models....emissions..a bunch of models of fz8s were made for different countries and even states in the u.s. (California...my bike..lol) and the the front fairing.

Fz1 parts: radiator guards, bars (with a little love and positioning) levers, forks, shock, probably radiator but I'm not sure, maybe front wheel?

That's it..hope it helps

Fazer 8

Thanks I'll incorporate your input. I know I'd like to know this stuff, I figured maybe some others would too. Unless it's already been done?

bikee4

From Motorcycle USA a Quote:

"For 2013 the FZ gets new fuel injection settings for a sportier engine feeling and quicker rev to enable a more direct feeling from the throttle to the rear wheel."

Woody146

Banned
From Motorcycle USA a Quote:

"For 2013 the FZ gets new fuel injection settings for a sportier engine feeling and quicker rev to enable a more direct feeling from the throttle to the rear wheel."

....ok...I can read what they say...and you can read the ACTUAL differences from the same site...under "new for 2013" nothing about fuel injection changes...nor when you compare the 2 years side by side.

2013 Yamaha FZ8 Features & Benefits

I also don't think the ecu would be the same( which it is) if the fuel settings were modified.

Anton67

Need Help, like my Bike but the Headlight ticks me off, want to replace it with the FZ9 headlight. Straight forward or brackets and so on with the whole wire deal afterwards? Please help Polly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexk

Weekend Rider
'13 DOES have a different ECU

I was pretty sure there were minor ECU differences in the 2103 model, hence why Guhl's doesn't list '13 as an ECU they work on.

So, I pulled the parts off Yamaha Motorcycle OEM Parts, Flemington Yamaha

2013's ecu is 39P-8591A-50-00
2012's ecu is 39P-8591A-30-00

What exactly are the differences? No idea... I'd hope it's just software, but I honestly have no clue. Anyone know for certain?

D

Deleted member 3631

I heard the 13 has an optional turbo...

Bahahaha.:D

Coolzzy

The 1st generation Fz1 has compatible levers and perches. The second generation uses a different perch that is not the same (just went through this when had to replace one of mine. 1st Gen Fz1 is a direct swap).