Dan Moto XG 1 install tips needed

YamaHammer

I am about to buy the xg1 exhaust, I like the sound and look. They also claim no need for a tune. I noticed the recommendation for an O2 sensor eliminator if the bike has the sensor. I also noticed the exhaust is unpainted.

Does the fz8 have the O2 sensor and is it difficult to eliminate? What is a good paint that can withstand the heat?

Riding or wishing I was riding.

9 Lives

Yes it has an O2 sensor, if you want to eliminate it just unplug it. Just follow the wire from the exhaust and you will see the connector. It will be easier to get at if you lift the tank. I can see no reason to disconnect it, I am pretty sure there are lots of guys running slip ons with the O2 sensor connected with no problems.

YamaHammer

Thanks for the tip.

Do I need special heat resistant paint to coat this exhaust?

MickD93

I would recommend powder coating the exhaust. They bake the paint on so it's very heat resistant and durable. But depending on what you want to spend that might be out of the question.

Otherwise go to any auto parts store, they usually have a large variety of heat resistant spray paint and they are reasonably priced. Most of them will be VHT (Very High Temperature) brand.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

YamaHammer

That's probably what I will do. Thanks for the spray paint tip. Would hate to have inferior paint on my exhaust.

YamaHammer

Question I thought of jus now... if you leave the O2 sensor on with a aftermarket racing exhaust like the xg-1, does that trigger something in the computer to adjust the air/fuel mixture?

9 Lives

The O2 sensor tells the ECM the A/F ratio biased on how much oxygen it senses in the exhaust. The ECM then adjusts the fuel accordingly. It will adjust the fuel at certain RPMs/throttle positions no matter what muffler you have on the bike.

YamaHammer

That's what I thought. The only unclear thing is whether dan moto has optimized their pipes for sensed or unsensed O2

9 Lives

Personally I would leave it connected, I was running the DM Carbon GP for about 8000km with the O2 sensor hooked up with no problems. I have since bought a Yoshi slip on and a PCV and will get it tuned on a dyno this spring.

07cobaltLScoupe

i like mine straight from danmoto and no issues with mine for 3000+ miles and O2 still installed. with the O2 unplugged you'd probably throw an engine code unless you'd tune it out, same idea as a car.

here's mine

MikeC

Weekend Rider
The XG1 is no different than any other slip-on. It'll lean out the a/f relative to the basemap because of it allows the motor to flow more air at any given point.

As 9 lives stated, the o2 sensor is what the ECU/EMU uses to compensate for the leaner mixture by adding in more fuel. I'm pretty sure you'll throw a code if it's missing; and pre-cat o2 sensors are quite expensive if i'm not mistaken. Without it, your motorcycle will be running basemap all the time which is probably not good since running lean can burn up plugs and motors. (unlikely though if all your did was the XG1) Deleting o2 sensor could also eliminate Data for short term and long term fuel trim, and both of these parameters are important if you've modified the performance of the bike.

What you REALLY want is not a compensated basemap, but a legitimate tune through either JBP, PCV or any other fuel management unit. For the ultimate upgrade, you'd also want an ignition module to advance ignition timing as well.

YamaHammer

All I really want is the sound and small performance increase. I am not Looking for tons more power or anything advanced. I appreciate the info, looks like leaving the sensor is the way to go.

YamaHammer

So, I dropped the stock exhaust and connected the dan moto. Didn't touch any wires. Just bolted on the new one. Its an incredibly LOUD exhaust. Love the sound when revving it, but its really too much for my ears when riding. Do they make a baffle for this exhaust?

9 Lives

Yes, but it doesn't lower the sound much. I had the baffle in my GP Carbon and it was still to loud for me.