Cracked Coolant Recovery Tank

CrescentBunny

Forgive me if this has been duplicated but I searched and didn't quite find what I was looking for in previous threads.

I've got a 2011 FZ8 and during my most recent fluid top off session I noticed a pretty sizeable crack in my coolant recovery tank under the seat. I'm not entirely sure how long it's been there but I just washed the bike and am just now seeing signs of leakage on the frame from the crack.

I haven't been riding super crazy but the commute to work does take me over some notoriously crappy Salt Lake City roads. I avoid as many potholes and poorly poured driveways as I can while driving but...yeah.

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this same issue? I'm not sure if maybe I hit a pothole too hard and cracked it, or if it's just a heat/weather and age thing. Any helpful insight would be much appreciated!

CrescentBunny

Thanks for the reply, yeah I doubt it's sun rot. Maybe heat + time = brittle plastic? I'm hoping that's all it was, but 2011 doesn't seem all that old to me - time flies though! I feel like 2011 was last year still. :rolleyes:

CrescentBunny

Got it changed out, oddly it does look like it was impacted somehow to me. Doesn't make much sense though as the front portion here doesn't touch anything. Hm.

Attachments

• IMG_20170831_192337 (1).jpg
    IMG_20170831_192337 (1).jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20170831_192337_zpsrlv52xnn.jpg
    IMG_20170831_192337_zpsrlv52xnn.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 52

CrescentBunny

Update - Another cracked reservoir, this time on the backside left corner. What the heck?! It was used but even then, the only thing I can imagine is that the shock is weak enough maybe it's getting jarred from impact? I don't ride tough and if I even think I need to stand on the pegs to avoid a rough spot in the road, I do it. Anyone else have thoughts?