Coolant flush

Dustin

Anybody here flushed the coolant themselves? Not really interested in taking it to a shop just to swap coolant, but I don't see a drain bolt...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 Lives

The drain plug is on the lower left rad line near where the rubber hose fits on the steel tube. Very close the to engine drain plug.

TorontoAlex

Whats involved in replacing coolant? Drain and refill and thats it? Its pretty complicated on my truck because of air bubbles being trapped.

Gem rod

Whats involved in replacing coolant? Drain and refill and thats it? Its pretty complicated on my truck because of air bubbles being trapped.

The manual recommends that the plastic expansion tanks is drained (by removing) and refilling separately if I recall. That looks tricky because of access but to be honest I don't plan to do mine just yet so I have not looked into this. I plan to do mine in a couple of years. Regarding air being trapped, that is not a normal occurrence on bikes. After re-filling the bike at the main fill cap, then revving the engine a few times with the cap off usually does the trick.

If anyone has removed the expansion tank than that would be a helpful little 'how to'.

9 Lives

I have removed the tank but its not necessary, just use a turkey baster to remove the coolant. The suction type brake bleeders work well also.

Just drain the coolant and refill, run the engine with the rad cap off and top up as necessary. When you see the coolant expand and start overflowing its full.

Last edited:

9 Lives

What was access like? Did you have to remove anything else first?

Its not bad, If I remember correctly is just one bolt and a drain line to disconnect. I think I removed the right side panel below the seat to get at the bolt.

Keach

I used a siphon kit from menards that was on clearance. You can find the kits anywhere and they are cheap to pump out the fluid from the reservoir. I used a jug of distiller water to flush out the old stuff and refilled with new coolant. Overall a very quick/easy maintenance task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk