Clutch issue

Ignacio-Arg

In a racing style driving: do you use the clutch, or not?. Personally I use it, but i've heard that if you don't use it, it's better to the clutch (!?). I normally use the clutch to shift gears up and down

H

Hoover

There is a thread on here from a year or so ago that discusses clutch useage. Mine gets used at stop lights.

W

WARPTH

That's exactly what I thought. I've always used it, but lately I read and I've been talked about it is better not to use it so often during a racing drive (still don't know why)

The clutch is cheaper to replace than the gear box. The fz8 box isnt made for quick shifting. Even if you were to head to the track, im sure the .5 second slower lap for using the clutch isnt going to get you casey stoners seat with HRC...

Ignacio-Arg

The clutch is cheaper to replace than the gear box. The fz8 box isnt made for quick shifting. Even if you were to head to the track, im sure the .5 second slower lap for using the clutch isnt going to get you casey stoners seat with HRC...

LOL :rof:

Thanks for your post man!

RnR

Not sure why some would think the tranny can't take clutchless shifts :confused:. Shifting without the clutch, when done correctly, is smooth.

I've shifted every bike I've ever owned at times without the clutch - from my 1st, a 1969 Suzuki AS 50 to this one. Never had a transmission problem. Having said that I wouldn't do it at lower RPMs. It's really a quick natural motion. Cut throttle, shift, and back on it. Takes less than one second I would guess. On motocross I never used the clutch going down gears either. That's a little harder and kind of backwards as you throttle slightly to unload the gears just as you downshift.

JSP

Administrator
Not sure why some would think the tranny can't take clutchless shifts :confused:. Shifting without the clutch, when done correctly, is smooth.

I've shifted every bike I've ever owned at times without the clutch - from my 1st, a 1969 Suzuki AS 50 to this one. Never had a transmission problem. Having said that I wouldn't do it at lower RPMs. It's really a quick natural motion. Cut throttle, shift, and back on it. Takes less than one second I would guess. On motocross I never used the clutch going down gears either. That's a little harder and kind of backwards as you throttle slightly to unload the gears just as you downshift.

Sure it can be done... but why? There is no benefit that any of us would truly notice. There is no risk in using the clutch, but there IS when not using it. Best to use it. Its there for a reason ;)

I can push start my bike and bypass the starter as well every time... does not mean I should do it. A few times here and there with a dead battery wont hurt it, but keep doing it all the time and things may start to wear down. We have a starter for a reason...

All sorts of things we CAN do... does not mean we should do it or that there is no risks in doing them.

V

Vapordan

Horses for courses. Look, if guys want to shift without the clutch, it's their bike, they have that right. Part of being an adult is being able to make decisions on your own and being accountable for those decisions. Those discussions are really getting tired now.

Ignacio-Arg

I had opened this thread because somebody told me that not using the clutch on a racing drive style, helps to save the life of the clutch (hope you understan what i'm trying to say). I think that's not correct, but I asked you to have another opinion

Sorry for my poor english

V

Vapordan

wasn't really hammering you, it's one of those topics where the fan boys come out in full force and then the topic degenerates into mud slinging - can't get no useful information.