Chest protection..Anyone use it?

BigD

Hi all

Before I starthink...yes I will be, shortly, the proud and more protected owner of forcefield back/spine protection...

however....

For street/road purposes does anyone use chest protection, any feedback on your own experiences in not so fortunate circumstances or on products alone?

thanks.. I look forward to your input.

Dan

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

b-eock

When I wrecked, going 60-65. I was wearing jeans, boots, long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, icon vest, helmet and gloves. Honestly the vest saved me from a bunch of road rash on my back. So yeah, its good for every day riding. I wear it whenever I ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

BigD

You didn't mention your chest..that's what the topic refers to if you don't mind....In your own opinion...would you suggest chest protection or?

cheers

Woody146

Banned
You didn't mention your chest..that's what the topic refers to if you don't mind....In your own opinion...would you suggest chest protection or?

cheers

The iicon vest is CHEST and BACK protection.

Did you have the Stryker vest?

OdinSon

I wouldn't bother with chest protection because how often to you slid or there? Normally its your arms and back that are going to take a real beating which is probably why that's what you usually see built into jackets.

For the record: I low sided going into a turn going 30 or mph (hit a patch of fine gravel, bike went out from under my instantly). I was wearing an Icon compound jacket with matching gloves, jeans, leather hiking boots, and of course a helmet. I got 5 stitches in my right knee where the bike landed on my leg, a very small abrasion on my right foot where the bike tore through my leather boots, and a type 3 shoulder separation which hurt like a mother effer, still bothers me, and likely always will. Anyways, I did some tumbles and rolls before the bike hit a concrete traffic island and I went over the bike and snapped the left mirror off (probably with my shoulder?). My chest made zero contact and I don't think it's likely the chest armor would be useful in most crashes.

That's my 2 cents.

BigD

I didn't realise the icon one did..Thanks for CORRECTING me 😛

OdinSon..thanks for the input, appreciated

BigD

This setup from Forcefield can be got for £140 so worth paying the extra or just settle for the Forcefield Pro Sub 4 back protector at £118 sheets?
Anyone used the above before? (flite extreme harness)

thanks in advance.

BigD

or the other option is this one which has chest protection also and in the form of a vest

TorontoAlex

Some jackets have openings for chest pad inserts. I havent chosen to buy them. I agree most crashes likely will mess up legs arms head and back. I havent fallen on my chest much in my lifetime so i dont feel vulnerable there.

MotoZen

I agree that most crashes don't have chest impact, but if you can afford it and don't find it restrictive or uncomfortable, more protection is always better.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

gufazi

I don't like to think about, but most crashes with chest impact may not have a happy ending, i.e. head-ons and someone turning left in front of you. Maybe you have a better chance with chest protection?

b-eock

cheers

I didn't mention it because as others said, its rare that it happens. My instinct when I crashed was to protect my internal parts (yeah that and "great my bike is f'ed" was going through my mind as I was in the air and bouncing down the highway. My story is in my stunting thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Woody146

Banned

This setup from Forcefield can be got for £140 so worth paying the extra or just settle for the Forcefield Pro Sub 4 back protector at £118 sheets?
Anyone used the above before? (flite extreme harness)

thanks in advance.

So..the Stryker vest and other icon vests are made out of extremely hard plastic and Kevlar..the are for external use..those both look like internal use...and yes....a leather jacket with padding is really the best way to go..like an alpinestars gp style jacket with arm chest shoulder and back padding, and then...you can go and insert even more protection in the back

Woody146

Banned
This is what I see tons of people on the road wearing..I have one too..great for if it's hot as shit out lol

master paper clip

I had the full icon rig rode with that under a hoodie for a few month. Had both back and chest protection... Made me feel so much more confident taking them turns knowing I was protected all around... Eventually I broke the rig down and stuffed a the armor pieces inside my old Joe rocket jacket.... I only did this because I rode an ass load and tslkng that thing off every time I stopped was very tiresom... As zen said if u can afford it and it doesn't hinder u or make u uncomfortable while riding u can never have to much protection

Rotaryknight

an armored vest is good for impact protection but you are going to suffer a lot of road rash if you dont have something like leather or even mesh to protect your skin.

I have a Alpinestar T-GP-R Air Jacket and they come with foam padding in the chest but I replaced them with the bionic chest pad phatplat linked above. And I replaced the foam back padding with the bio armor from Alpinestar.

FZ8Ryder

I had the full icon rig rode with that under a hoodie for a few month. Had both back and chest protection... Made me feel so much more confident taking them turns knowing I was protected all around... Eventually I broke the rig down and stuffed a the armor pieces inside my old Joe rocket jacket.... I only did this because I rode an ass load and tslkng that thing off every time I stopped was very tiresom... As zen said if u can afford it and it doesn't hinder u or make u uncomfortable while riding u can never have to much protection

Glad to hear someone has used the full icon Stryker rig before. I've been thinking about getting it for the summers here when it's on average 110-115 degrees.

Ride Fast, Take Chances.

BigD

Ref protective gear, I do have a spada all road textile ce approved jacket, rst blade leather jeans with ce armour and knee sliders and a shark rsi (the rudder) helmet as well as rst blade gloves with carbon knuckles..to add to this I was looking to boost the armour to ce level 2 where possible hence the above posted.
Has anyone had any use of the forcefield stuff? I was aiming more towards those than the hard armour type as it seems to have excellent energy transfer ratings of under 6kn and even as low as under 4kn for the sub for back protector alone.

as always..thanks for your input :)

master paper clip

Glad to hear someone has used the full icon Stryker rig before. I've been thinking about getting it for the summers here when it's on average 110-115 degrees.

Ride Fast, Take Chances.

Yeah man thing was great, I loved it but didn't want to buy yet another jacket and I realized the armor parts could fit in place of the ones my Joe rocket jacket came with.... But the rig its self was worth every penny, made me feel real safe... If the bike wasn't my only form of transportation at the time I wouldn't have broken it down bit I couldn't stand talking it on and off as much as I had to.... Ohhh and chest protection is worth not talking a giant bug, rock, bat, bird or other creature to the chest again ;)