Chain question/replacement

sdo1414

I am thinking it’s time to replace my chain although I am not sure. I have the original chain on the bike and have about 16,500 miles on the bike. The chain was loose a few weeks ago so I tightened it back up and now it became loose again? Is this a sign of a new chain needed? I have also read when you change your chain, you should also do your sprockets? Where is the best place to get new chains and if needed sprockets?which ones? Any help is appreciated! Thanks! I’m new at this stuff.

Mikz86ta

Well be sure you tightened the lock nuts and axle nut correctly Should not be that bad.
Yes replace all 3 at same time.
DID is what Yamaha used stock and is a great brand. 525 is the size. 520 is lighter but may sacrifice longevity. 530 is best durability but kinda heavy.....less performance.
I'd say stick 525, they got that right.
Sprockets stick ratio is 16/46 front/rear. -1 up front u can keep same chain length (122 links). Will increase off line acceleration. But sacrifice fuel economy and turn more RPMs. Add +1 or +2 in the back and I hear it's one fun machine. But same applies for the mileage.
If u go on long cruises, stick with stock or -2 out back.
Available ratios are not unlimited. Only ever seen 15/16/17 front and like 5/6 different rears.
Lots different good quality companies. I myself am doing a Sunday stock replacement front. And a steel Vortex rear.
Oh and rear, either aluminum for lightness but fewer miles out of them......or.....steel for more reliability. Supersprox Stealth.....steel teeth on aluminum center = best of both but cost more :)

Hope this helps

sdo1414

Well be sure you tightened the lock nuts and axle nut correctly Should not be that bad.
Yes replace all 3 at same time.
DID is what Yamaha used stock and is a great brand. 525 is the size. 520 is lighter but may sacrifice longevity. 530 is best durability but kinda heavy.....less performance.
I'd say stick 525, they got that right.
Sprockets stick ratio is 16/46 front/rear. -1 up front u can keep same chain length (122 links). Will increase off line acceleration. But sacrifice fuel economy and turn more RPMs. Add +1 or +2 in the back and I hear it's one fun machine. But same applies for the mileage.
If u go on long cruises, stick with stock or -2 out back.
Available ratios are not unlimited. Only ever seen 15/16/17 front and like 5/6 different rears.
Lots different good quality companies. I myself am doing a Sunday stock replacement front. And a steel Vortex rear.
Oh and rear, either aluminum for lightness but fewer miles out of them......or.....steel for more reliability. Supersprox Stealth.....steel teeth on aluminum center = best of both but cost more :)

Hope this helps

Awesome man! thanks for the info!!

esapper95

I would definitely go with steel sprockets. I did a black vortex sprocket that is steel and roughly 5000 miles later the paint hasn't even worn off. My brother has a wr450 supermoto with aluminum sprockets they seem to wear very quickly

i did the 520 conversion - D.I.D chain, front sprocket -1 (15tooth straight from yamaha) the rear i did the +2 to make it a 48tooth. got that from Driven - steel sprocket. Love the setup and love the bike and how it accelerates now.

esapper95

I did -1 front +1 rear with 525 chain. I love my setup, I cannot imagine +2 in the rear is much of a difference over +1. The only bad thing is highway cruising but I don't do much of that. I do 2-3 trips a year that are highway for 2+ hours and still get around 45 mpg

efzate

I did -1 front +1 rear with 525 chain. I love my setup, I cannot imagine +2 in the rear is much of a difference over +1. The only bad thing is highway cruising but I don't do much of that. I do 2-3 trips a year that are highway for 2+ hours and still get around 45 mpg

I am looking to do the same thing but curious how it does affect higher speeds and revs on the highway. Is it that much higher e.g. 1k to 2k higher at 70mph for example?

my bike sits around 5k to 5500k at 65mph with my current setup.
i can cruise along but mileage begins to suck. plus, i normally dont ride much highway / long distance.

esapper95

It's probably around 1k rpm higher then stock. Probably not the best choice for someone who does long highway rides. I hop on the highway usually for a maximum of 30 minutes at a time and it's fine for that. Gas milage wasn't greatly impacted either, surprisingly.

Mikz86ta

Great info. I'm wanting to stick with 525 chain. I don't think my riding mix will be suited for -1/+2 or -1/+1. Contemplating -1 front only vs. +1 or +2 back only. I found a ratio chart on it but not much real world input off a graph.
I mean, at 65-70 mph on the interstate is barely fun now. Between the exhaust note, the obvious wind due to this type of bike and the power band......it just seems hard to decide.
I like its current acceleration. Needs less off line lower rpm lag tho. Gears will help that. But hurt my top end.
Agh....decisions