Chain Maintenance

hypo

GREAT article here: .: Motorcycle Chain Maintenance | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring :.

It is important (with O-Ring chains) to always lube your chain immediately after riding, while the chain is warm. Remember how we talked about how O-Ring chains keep the lube inside the chain? Well, lubing your chain while still hot will cause the lube to be drawn into the chain as it cools. Also, remember that chain lube's primary job is to lube between the chain and the sprockets.

Also, you need to lube your chain in two locations. Spray the majority of the lube on the inside of the chain. This helps prevent fling and will force lube into the chain when you are riding. You also need to spray lube directly onto the O-Rings. The best way to do this is at the rear sprocket, spinning the wheel as you go. Avoid the temptation to prop the bike up on the track stand or center stand, start the bike, put it in first gear while the rear wheel is in the air, and spray as the motor moves the rear wheel. The number of fingers claimed by this exercise is astonishing and a quick search on the Internet will reveal images of people who have lost their fingers doing this (not just dummies, but experienced motorcycle mechanics). It is much better and safer to do it the hard way, with the motor off and the bike in neutral.

then there is replacement issues. Every new bike today comes with a link-less chain. Meaning there is no master link. Every link is riveted. While master link chains are still available, the best idea is to purchase a chain rivet tool (about $30 to $60) so that you can replace your chain with another linkless chain. I would not want to have a master link come apart on a 120hp engine at high speed. Yikes!

A common misconception with chain replacement is to change you chain and sprockets at the same time. This is only true if you use aluminum sprockets. If you use steel or factory sprockets, the rule of thumb is two chains to one set of sprockets. That is, of course, if you replace your chains before they are so bad they damage the steel sprockets. Unless you wish to change your gearing when your chain wears out, simply replace the chain. A good chain costs about $100, and a rear sprocket can run around $75 or more.

ZIA_Zen

I have lubed my chain at least once a month since purchase, but I don't have a stand and it's a pita. Even with a stand, I can't imagine running the bike in gear while applying the lube.

I saw a video on youtube where a guy used his side stand to tip the bike towards himself and used the front tire as the second balance point. He then pushed the back tire, which was off the ground, with his foot and sprayed the chain while spinning.

It looked like a recipe for disaster. I never tried it because if the bike fell on me I don't know if my wife would be scared when she found me or would fall over laughing her a$$ off.

I just need to buy a stand to avoid the embassment.

hypo

my mistake was lubing BEFORE riding... never even considered the warm o-ring absorbing the lubrication! always learning something new.

Speedo007

I have the center stand so what I do is I go for a ride to make sure the chain is warm. I put the bike on it's stand then put it in first gear and just let it idle so the rear wheel turns at a fair speed. I use a white lubricant so it's easy to see where I'm spraying and I hold a cardboard behind the chain so I dont spray on parts I dont want too.

***WARNING- Just make sure you don't have long sleeves or long hair or let anything go between the chain and the sprocket or this can turn bad very quickly-

Once the chain is all covered, I turn the engine off and let the chain cool off completely. Then it's ready to ride. When I'm in a hurry and don't wait long enough and the grease gets on the wheel, WD-40 is a charm to remove the sticky gunk, then I can just wash the wheel with water and soap if I want to remove the WD-40 or I just leave the semi-shiny finish until next bike wash.

Last edited:

do you guys use o-ring chain oil? or just any chain oil?

and have you guys seen the oil that comes with the brush that wraps around the chain? any thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Speedo007

This is what I use now which is very good. I used to have some BelRay white chain grease but it got discontinued...what I liked about the belray is that it cleaned the chain at the same time, would make an old chain look like new, just by rolling with it...

One thing I stay away from is the waxes...a total PITA to clean and it attracts dirt like a magnet.

You can check the reviews here too:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/72/21110/ITEM/Motul-Factory-Line-Chain-Lube.aspx

Last edited:

this is what i use
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/72/12509/ITEM/PJ1-Blue-Label-Chain-Lube.aspx