Chain Lube Everywhere

QueenCreekFZ8

I've come to the collective with my hat in hand. I'm at a loss for solutions and am open too suggestions.

I used Maxima chain clean about a month ago and then reapplied their synthetic chain lube after everything was all dry. Bike has about 6k on it and the chain maintainace was done following a not so typical down pour here in AZ.

Here my problem: ever since then I've got chain lube flying everywhere. I thought it was the lube I used so I wiped the chain down and use some PJ1 chain lube... Still flys off the chain and drips off the bike once parked. I though maybe its the lube type so I cleaned up the chain and used a wax base lube. Still no effect. Although the dripping isn't as much.

Am I just putting way to much lube on? I'm a label reader so I pretty much stick to what they say when applying to the chain while it's warm.

Am I missing something here? I await the collective answer.

lyric911

If the chain is properly clean, the waxy kind of lube should nearly dry and not fling or drip at all.

lothodon

Super Moderator
clean it, really well and ride it dry to get it hot...then use pj1 as it will "dry" to a hot chain. the hotter the better. if you get sun, leave it in the sun as well just after applying. if you've got a rear stand or center stand where you can leave the rear wheel up turn the chain so it all gets baked on.

H

Hoover

clean it, really well and ride it dry to get it hot...then use pj1 as it will "dry" to a hot chain. the hotter the better. if you get sun, leave it in the sun as well just after applying. if you've got a rear stand or center stand where you can leave the rear wheel up turn the chain so it all gets baked on.

Yup, 100% correct.
I have a " chain lube" ride. I clean off the surplus, ride a 2 mile lap of my neighborhood in as low a gear as possible, park it on my Pitbull and spray 1 coat of PJ1 and leave it alone for at least 4 hours.
I try to do this in the evening so it drys overnight.
I took my chain guard off because it is pig ugly and get no fling because of this procedure.
Patience is key. Do not over apply. you are just wasting it.

hypo

I was told you should lube a hot chain, and put her to bed. Bel-Ray or PJ's... let it soak in good.