Chain Guide HELP!

Swampy

So I recently had an accident from my chain being too loose. It ended up folding in on itself inside the sprocket cover. This put too much stress on the metal plate that guides the chain over the sprocket.

Where these bolts hold the metal chain guide on broke. Is this part of the engine block? Is my bike totaled from careless maintenance? I use this bike as a commuter and I am hurting please tell me there is an easy fix.

Thank you for your time

9 Lives

Yes the bolt holes are a cast part of the engine case, that plate is there to hopefully protect the engine case in the event that the chain breaks. You don't need it for the chain to run properly on the sprocket. Personally I would just leave the metal plate off, put new sprockets and chain on and ride it. Keep a close eye on that area for oil leaks for a while after you start riding it again. I would leave the plastic cover off until your sure there are no leaks. Make sure you check your chain regularly, next time it will take out the engine case.

Last edited:

Bagman

I love it. Using the bike as a commuter, and can't even bother to maintain chain tension. Lemme guess. Just gas and the occasional squirt of WD40 on the chain, ya? You had an accident - meaning you crashed? Hope you're okay.. but wowzer what a stupid way to learn. Any kind of power equipment or motor vehicle isn't just some joke of a thing to operate. You can hurt/kill yourself or others with negligent maintenance.

Proper chain tension makes a world of difference in power delivery and throttle control too.