chain cleaning..gunk build up

BigD

Ok so anyone can clean and lube a chain after a ride when required to do so but is there a write up on removal of the cover near the gear box/front sprocket where we can't see in order to clean out any gunk/grease collected inside...??
I'm in maintenance mode today so may as well do it fully :)

cheers

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

BigD

Cheers all :) thought it was simple enough just didn't wanna start taking off bolts I shouldn't lol

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

rug_burn

Just for the record, how many miles has everyone gotten on their stock chain?

I got 17,500 mi. I was expecting a little more, but I'll admit I was a little light with the lube there for a while before I got my bike stand. The new one seems to be holding up beter, now with about 5k on it, and no sign of stretch (one of those RD or KD x-ring style, about $100 from the local dealer.)

BigD

Remove shift linkage, then what Woody said.
All done. nice and clean and regreased now :) she's happy again.
Had to re adjust gear selector anyway as it was too high I had to raise toes alot to get into gear and have had a few dodgy missed changes between 5/6. haven't tried It since the adjustment yet. fingers crossed.

Woody146

Banned

I got 17,500 mi. I was expecting a little more, but I'll admit I was a little light with the lube there for a while before I got my bike stand. The new one seems to be holding up beter, now with about 5k on it, and no sign of stretch (one of those RD or KD x-ring style, about $100 from the local dealer.)

11 k but I was lubing it wrong. Needed to use actual chain degreaser and spray it direct on the chain..replaced with a gold d.i.d. 520

rug_burn

All done. nice and clean and regreased now :) she's happy again.
Had to re adjust gear selector anyway as it was too high I had to raise toes alot to get into gear and have had a few dodgy missed changes between 5/6. haven't tried It since the adjustment yet. fingers crossed.

Now that you mention that adjusting the gearshift- I did that too, and like it a lot better-
But can you adjust the foot brake that same way? I was looking at it, and it doesn't seem to have much room left for the adjustment. I need to lower mine just the same as the gearshift. It seems like it's already adjusted almost all the way down, but it's still too high for my tastes, by quite a bit.
If worse came to worst, I could cut the threaded part of the shaft down a little, but I'd hate to have to do that. I should probably just adjust it down as far as the bolt length will allow, and see how that feels.
Anyone else?

DanS

Commuter

I'm at 11k also, I keep it lubed with PJ1 blue label. I've never really cleaned my chain, I just knock off the chunks with a rag saturated in lube then spray it down good and let it sit over night.

Woody146

Banned
Do something to your chain about every 200 miles..lube or wax or degrease ideally all of em..and it will last..had a long talk with a bike mech. About this

DanS

Commuter
Do something to your chain about every 200 miles..lube or wax or degrease ideally all of em..and it will last..had a long talk with a bike mech. About this
When my chain wears out I'm going to do the -1+2 520 conversion so if it wears out prematurely I'm ok with that. My non-chain cleaning is kind of a personal experiment. I've had this discussion with some guys at work and asked "would you use a degreaser to clean an aileron, elevator or rudder pulley bearing?" "Oh hell no! but that's what the chain mfg.'s recommend." So here's my thoughts on chain cleaning: Kerosene and other recommended degreasers will not harm the "o"rings, but may seep under the "o"rings and dilute the lubricant on the other side of the "o"rings. I'm probably wrong, the grit on the outside may wear the chain and sprockets faster than washing out the internal grease... we shall see