Bad morning....

BigD

So today I decked the fz8 :(
Safety gear protected me..new £500 shoei gt air is scuffed and scratched...salvageable??? Dunno...... Can these be sprayed if proven it's not damaged if I get it checked.
Right hand rear set snapped, front red fly screen cracked, petrol tank batwing cracked, rear fairing (seat surround) bottom and top busted..seat cowl is fine, wing mirror snapped and possible slight bend in bars...

Injury sustained was cut and bruised, sprained thumb..lucky escape but I'm saddened for my bike!!

I'm in the Uk so if anyone on here from uk has any parts it would be great as plastics cost loads from yamabits.co.uk.

Worth paying the money for standard rear sets or pay a bit more for racing adjustable? Anyone know prices?

Cheers all.
Dan

Last edited:

BigD

Helmet was more scraped than dropped:

BigD

Suffering whiplash today too.
Pics of parts that came off and the bike too.
Having trouble finding the parts online (not direct from yamaha as mega expensive for plastics lol)

Not too bad considering but crash bungs did sod all as bike was half on half off road/grass.

May have bent bars too not sure. Hoping it's not anything worse.

Last edited:

Fazer 8

I'm not super cautious, but I do believe I would replace that helmet if it was mine. I take it you're not going through insurance for this?

BigD

Well as its first years insurance and no ncb I think next year I would be hung drawn and quartered for next quote..looking to fix myself at the mo...spares are so expensive (plastics are crazy prices from yamaha!) £120-£160 a part. One part I may have found for £80 at this time but it's gonna cost a lot.
The front headlight red fairing is £156 alone!!!!!!!

Fazer 8

Yeah, sucks to have to replace such a new, and nice helmet. I guess if you're confident that it didn't hit the ground hard, so the shell and EPS liner are intact, you could probably fix up the cosmetic damage and keep using it. I'm not the type that thinks that every little scratch or ding (or even a drop onto a hard surface) renders a helmet useless. The main things are the integrity of the shell, and that the EPS hasn't been crushed.

ps, yeah, glad that you're OK, that's the most important thing. I'm a little older and wealthier now so I can handle this stuff pretty easily, but I know when I started riding again in earnest in '97 money was pretty tight for me.

Last edited:

BigD

Yeah, sucks to have to replace such a new, and nice helmet. I guess if you're confident that it didn't hit the ground hard, so the shell and EPS liner are intact, you could probably fix up the cosmetic damage and keep using it. I'm not the type that thinks that every little scratch or ding (or even a drop onto a hard surface) renders a helmet useless. The main things are the integrity of the shell, and that the EPS hasn't been crushed.

ps, yeah, glad that you're OK, that's the most important thing. I'm a little older and wealthier now so I can handle this stuff pretty easily, but I know when I started riding again in earnest in '97 money was pretty tight for me.

i earn enough to get it sorted but other things need paying for too and at 28 i still dont have my own house yet!! sad times i know. ultimately would love to live in Canada anyway but easier said than done for us across the pond.

Thinking of sending Shoei my helmet and seeing if they can examine it for me before hand. would be a shame to ditch it now. if it needs to be replaced then so be it but id like to know how crushed the internals are if at all.

Fazer 8

i earn enough to get it sorted but other things need paying for too and at 28 i still dont have my own house yet!! sad times i know. ultimately would love to live in Canada anyway but easier said than done for us across the pond.

Same here on the money thing - in '97 I was 29 and making decent money, and had enough money to pay for stuff like this, but not so much that having to bin a brand new $800 helmet wouldn't hurt a lot. Actually, back in that time period I had a $500 Arai stolen from my garage - that hurt.

baggy

Might not feel it at the moment but main thing you are alright mate.

Everything else is replaceable

baggy

Have you got protected no claims bonus?

If so claim it won't make much difference to your insurance. It's worth doing especially if you have helmet and clothing cover

BigD

Have you got protected no claims bonus?

If so claim it won't make much difference to your insurance. It's worth doing especially if you have helmet and clothing cover
Unfortunately not. Have to have 5 years for that. I've not even made it to a year yet lol

Stumpy

id claim on it anyway, you still have to declare you've had the accident don't ya, or is that if you hit someone and pay for it your self

BigD

Only if someone else involved. Also though don't have to claim even if that's the case as can pay for theirs private too. Either way I don't think I will claim

BigD

Anyone happen to have any such plastic spares at all?

Rear sets....looking at decent quality budget sets...any suggestions?