Backwards front tire!

BLAZEX09

Commuter
So a friend of mine bought a ZX6-r from a "Motorcycle Mechanic", and the front tire is on the wrong way (rotation arrows are pointing to the rear of bike).

I said he should get it changed right away, he thinks as long as he isin't riding in the rain it should be fine.

If Anyone in the know about tires could please chime in that would be great!

Bajaedition

the tire is built to be run in one direction not only in the tread but the inner carcass is layed up that way, change it.

black8

So a friend of mine bought a ZX6-r from a "Motorcycle Mechanic", and the front tire is on the wrong way (rotation arrows are pointing to the rear of bike).

I said he should get it changed right away, he thinks as long as he isin't riding in the rain it should be fine.

If Anyone in the know about tires could please chime in that would be great!

Yeah its needs changing Now!!! i would give the bike a good check over can`t be much of a bike mechanic if he cant see which way a tyre has to be fitted

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I'm sure it's not good but for what it's worth I've ridden a front tire through its entire life mounted backwards. Rain and all. It was fine, but did pick up what I'm sure was extra cupping

No mames wuey

thach1130

I've alway thought the arrow shape tread on the tire for the front tire should be pointing backward. Here's my reasoning.

Power is provided to the rear tire so with the arrow point forward as the tire roll through the water the arrow channel is facing the rear of the bike at the contact patch will spread the water outward
--------> direction of rotation
>>>>====.

Front tire on the other hand does not have power applied to it so it's more of a pushing motion which drag the arrow shape channel through the tire therefore the channel should face backward so at the contact patch the channel is facing forward and the water would be spread by the channel as it is being pushed through the water.
<------ direction of pushing force on the tire
=======<<<<<<<.

tjfisher

Ok so i just have to say it "pull the rim off the bike spin it around put it back on the tire is directional not the rim some are like ours fz8 but not the zx6-r . i could be wrong . its a common mistake ive done it on my bikes :hbwall:

PNUT

Sounds like the whole rim is just on backwards, I've done that on my 08 ZX6r. Pull it off an flip it around.

Larry P

I just wanna throw this out there and say there are *some few* tires that can run either direction. I think it's more common with aggressive track style tires. I learned this from youtube comments calling out a track rider for a backwards tire and OP gently handing them their arses :)

BLAZEX09

Commuter
Thanks for the help guys! I’ll let him know he should switch it around or a least do some checking to see if the tire is rotationally indifferent.

The bike is in pretty rough shape overall. I told my buddy it’s amazing how many people become mechanics when they are selling a vehicle, lol.