About to take first ride! Any tips?

ZitoDragon

Hi!
Okay... I know the fz8 isn't a starter bike, but I got a deal I couldn't possibly refuse. $3700 on a 2012 with 5 k miles. Sounds a heck of a lot better than a cbr300 for the same price. I will take the motorcycle basic before I drive her home, but I will have to get her from Newport News to Williamsburg (about 40 mins). My dad will be driving with me in a car. We are planning on taking slower roads, including the scenic parkway that never goes above 45 mph, and if I get tired my dad and I will switch back and forth (he is taking the msf too). So, any tips for new riders? Should my dad drive in front or behind me? I went ahead and invested in good quality safety gear and helmets. Is there anything I am missing? Also, any red flags I should really look for before making the final purchase?

97audia4

In all honesty you should get an R3, it will suit you much better and your riding skills will accelerate at a much faster pace than on the fz8.

ZitoDragon

I do not like R3's, ninjas, or cbr300s. I'm not worried about the bike, I have done my research and am 100 percent sure this is the bike I want unless I can by some miracle get an nc700 manual for the same price. Even then I'm not sure I would take the honda. I love everything about the R8, and I am a very cautious driver by nature, never been in a wreck. All i really want is advice for that first ride.
Thank you for your input, though. :)

Torbeach

Assuming you have completed the MSF, have the M designation on your drivers license and have the bike insured I would suggest first trying to arrange taking it to a quiet parking lot before heading off on your trip. This would give you a chance to familiarize yourself with the bike, learning the clutch bite point, practice taking off and coming to a smooth stop, getting a feel for the handling of the bike and a chance to do a few emergency stops. The FZ8 is a powerful bike for a beginner so be careful and don't push it. Once you feel comfortable with the bike then you can leave with a bit of confidence. I would suggest having the car follow you so they can watch what you are doing and also so you can focus more on your riding rather then trying to keep up with the car. Until you gain more experience drive at the speed limit or a pace you feel comfortable with (no excessive speeds). Keep your head up and look well down the road and be especially careful when going through intersections making sure cars turning left in front see you, if you have any doubt slow down and be prepared to take corrective action. Scan the road looking for cars coming out of side streets or driveways, make sure they see you. Also at this time of year falling leaves are slippery as is sand and gravel, slow down especially on turns. The MSF should teach you the blocking positions so use them and always do your shoulder checks when changing lanes and be aware of cars around you.

If your planning on moving the bike before completing the MSF, without your M designation or insurance then just arrange to trailer it or rent a van to move it. It's not worth the chance driving without proper license or insurance.

There shouldn't be much wrong with a bike with only 3700 miles provided it was maintained properly. Ask to start the bike when it is cold and hasn't been started for a while, a warm bike is easier to start than a cold one. When the bike is started does it run smooth, are there any strange clunking or rattling noises? Look for signs of damage from being dropped or in an accident. This usually shows up as scratches on the stator cover, bent foot controls, bent handle bars, scratches on the bar ends etc. Look at the forks, do they look straight? When looking down a the front wheel with the handle bars in the straight driving position does the wheel point forward or is it angled to on side, if angled it could be a from an accident or from hitting a big bump in the road. Check the fork seals for leakage, Check the tires for wear, do they look like they've only gone 3700 miles? Ask for maintenance records and when was the last oil change, I would be prepared to change the oil anyways once you got it home. Look inside the gas tank, if the gas level is low look for signs of rust which can clog the filter and cause poor performance and stalling. Make sure all the lights and signals work. Look at the chain, a clean and lubricated chain might indicate good maintenance practices whereas a dirty dry chain could mean neglect.

Good luck and be safe.

ZitoDragon

Good luck and be safe.

Thanks, there is a bunch of good information in there! I will definitely finish the rider course and at least get the temporary license before I drive it anywhere. I won't be able to get to a parking lot before going out on the parkway, but It should be okay... the parkway is a huge road where you are expected to go a few miles under the limit, and if anyone thinks I am going too slow they can pass.

InkedInspector

ZitoDragon,

Just wanted to see if you were still around, curious how this worked out for you? Similar situation, I got a great deal on a 2012, 7k miles, 4500 bucks. Given that it already had a Yoshi carbon slip on, power commander, fender eliminator, I decided to go for it. Took the MSF course, got my endorsement and made the FZ8 my first bike. Started off slow on side roads, and kind of baby stepped my way up from there. I've now put a little over 1,000 miles on it and just make little mental notes every ride of small things I feel I could have done better, but so far smooth sailing. Hope everything went smooth for you as well.