2012 Preview - Ultimate Motorcycling

hypo

2012 Yamaha FZ8 | Preview | Motorcycle News

Due to the success of this do-it-all sportbike after its debut year, Yamaha decided to offer the 2012 model without changes, well except for color; instead of the only-offered Raven black for 2011, the 2012 Yamaha FZ8 is offered in the only-offered Matte Black / Matte Black.

But unlike lack of paint options, this single-colored naked won't deliver lack of performance. The FZ8's engine features components directly from the R1 and R6 sportbikes, including ceramic-composite-coated cylinders and forged aluminum pistons, with a "carefully optimized crankshaft to deliver the perfect power curve and torquey performance character for this category."

The FZ8 rider is able to comfortably transmit this power to the ground due to the balance and cornering performance provided through the cast-aluminum frame and controlled-full aluminum swingarm. Comfort is further supplied through upright ergonomics, creating an urban warrior that's equally happy touring as it is carving canyons.

Yamaha says: "This bike simply excels, both in the morning commute and on that spirited weekend ride on a twisty back country road."

The middleweight FZ8 is Yamaha's answer to the do-it-all motorcycle, providing sportbike fun in it's purest form, but also a daily commuter with comfortable ergos. But the best part of this stripped-down FZ8? The naked package is offered for under the $8700 mark.

picture NOT from Ultimate:

lothodon

Super Moderator
having another year of the "same" bike will REALLY help the aftermarket scene.

and btw, if anyone doesn't like the flat black and get's a 12...i'll trade you tins!!!

SpunkyTheTuna

Flat black tins? Ooooooooooh.....me gusta! Adds some additional edge to the bike. And bonus! no more waxing.

Pardon me while I check my garage for rattle can flat black paint.

H

Hoover

Second year will for sure hop up the aftermarket stuff. I love the flat black, but in other pics I've seen, it looks almost grey.

hypo

my thoughts exactly... maybe back in the 80's... when pink and white was IN... ok red... whatever... so maybe for an ambulance motorcycle...

shaunone

Wow, you guys have no taste. It's a 50th anniversary special edition that's a throwback to the original FZ days. My dad and uncles had the '85-89 FZ 750's and remember this colour scheme quite well.... Red & White FTW!

H

Hoover

Wow, you guys have no taste. It's a 50th anniversary special edition that's a throwback to the original FZ days. My dad and uncles had the '85-89 FZ 750's and remember this colour scheme quite well.... Red & White FTW!

I have plenty of taste. I had an 83 RD 350 LC in red and white brand new that I bought from a dealer in Coventry, England. That bike was the badest, meanest, punch you in the face bike I had ever owned.

I loved that bike, just as I loved my clothes and the music that came with it and those times.

Fact is, the world keeps going, The FZ8 is a great machine, it just looks crap in those colors.

I dont mean to offend.....but.....put retro paint jobs on retro bikes.
Hats off to Yamaha for having the balls to build a stripped down naked bike with modern "whoopie bits" that we can afford to mess with.

Ozfazer6

Super Moderator
I had an 83 RD 350 LC in red and white That bike was the badest, meanest, punch you in the face bike I had ever owned.

I loved that bike, just as I loved my clothes and the music that came with it and those times.

I had a '79 250 AC ,that era rocked ,now I,m getting nostalgic ,lol

hypo

ok... I can see it now... just a little bit... the red and white does have its place... but that first vision was just shocking to me...

hypo

yes it is... but I was trying to find an 80's bike or retro coloring, and since our FZ8 is so new...

Speedo007

ok... I can see it now... just a little bit... the red and white does have its place... but that first vision was just shocking to me...

Now that looks good...Also, prefer the headlight on the naked FZ1...

Last edited: